Questions about TrackClipPro

jdhughen

Questions about TrackClipPro

Post by jdhughen »

This is the 3rd time I've tried to post to this forum and my post is not showing up.
I have TrackIR 5, hat clip and a trackClip pro. My situation is this...

Love the system in general. I ware a hat most of the time any way and much prefer using the hat clip. That said I like the accuracy and smoothness i get with the TrackClip pro BUT hate the wire and hate having to use headphones. I have surround sound in my computer room and don't use headphones. I have seen on this forum that users have been requesting a wireless option for the TrackClip pro for a few years but nothing seems to be forthcoming from NaturalPoint. So I've decided to come up with my own option for a LED wireless Hat. So I have a few questions. I have 2 options here. 1 - Mod my TrackClip pro for wireless operation and mount it on a hat OR 2 - start from scratch and build my own ir LED clip using the standard hat clip as a "frame". Each solution presents different questions....

TrackIR software questions....
1) I assume with the selection of either "trackClip" or "TrackClipPro" that besides "centering" and turning on/off the receiver LED's that the software uses the different dimensions of each clip in the calculations ??
2) If I attached the TrackClipPro on the bill of a hat by laying it on it's side (kind of like the hat clip) once I "centered" it would it work properly ?
3) If I constructed a clip using my own ir leds and used the "hat Clip" as a "frame" would I need to use the regular "TrackClip" selection in the software so the dimensions matched? If so would the receiver LEDs being on cause a problem with tracking my custom Led hat clip ??

Hardware questions.....
1) If I used my current TrackClipPro and altered it to fit the hat brim, and then wanted to power it with a LiPo cell (3.7) to do that properly I would need to recalc the proper resistor based on that voltage. What is the amp draw of the TrackClipPro @ 5v usb supply ?

2) If I decide to build my own clip what is the wavelength (nm) of the IR receiver. commonly IR devices are 850nm but some are 950nm. What is the TrackIR ?

3)I'm thinking I could (if it's a 850nm system) use some 1.5vdc IR LEDs at about 25ma each and get 5 or 6 hrs off a single cell 300ma lipo which wouldn't weight much at all (less the 2 AAA batts) which could easily fit on the brim of the hat with the clip. I fly RC plane and have lots of LiPo batts of different sizes. Do you think this would work ??

Thanks

Joel
Seth Steiling

Re: Questions about TrackClipPro

Post by Seth Steiling »

jdhughen wrote: TrackIR software questions....
1) I assume with the selection of either "trackClip" or "TrackClipPro" that besides "centering" and turning on/off the receiver LED's that the software uses the different dimensions of each clip in the calculations ??
2) If I attached the TrackClipPro on the bill of a hat by laying it on it's side (kind of like the hat clip) once I "centered" it would it work properly ?
3) If I constructed a clip using my own ir leds and used the "hat Clip" as a "frame" would I need to use the regular "TrackClip" selection in the software so the dimensions matched? If so would the receiver LEDs being on cause a problem with tracking my custom Led hat clip ??
1) Correct. The selection determines offset, arrangement of the dots (by extension, the math the software uses), and camera settings.

2) No. The different arrangement of the IR LEDs between the clips prevent this.

3) Yes, you'd need to set it as "TrackClip" to ensure that the math is correct. The LEDs from the TrackIR remaining on should not create a problem. You can manually turn them off from Advanced Settings > Camera, if you wanted to be extra sure. :-) Note that this kind of mod requires very specific placement of the LEDs, so the centers are calculated right where they would be if you were using the stock reflective tape. The vector math requires this for accurate tracking.
Hardware questions.....
1) If I used my current TrackClipPro and altered it to fit the hat brim, and then wanted to power it with a LiPo cell (3.7) to do that properly I would need to recalc the proper resistor based on that voltage. What is the amp draw of the TrackClipPro @ 5v usb supply ?

2) If I decide to build my own clip what is the wavelength (nm) of the IR receiver. commonly IR devices are 850nm but some are 950nm. What is the TrackIR ?

3)I'm thinking I could (if it's a 850nm system) use some 1.5vdc IR LEDs at about 25ma each and get 5 or 6 hrs off a single cell 300ma lipo which wouldn't weight much at all (less the 2 AAA batts) which could easily fit on the brim of the hat with the clip. I fly RC plane and have lots of LiPo batts of different sizes. Do you think this would work ??
1) I'll have to check on this.

2) 850nm

3) I'll also have to check on this.
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
jdhughen

Re: Questions about TrackClipPro

Post by jdhughen »

Seth,

Thanks so much for your responses.
And please let me know what you find out about the amp draw of the Pro with a 5v source

thanks
Joel