TrackClip project

RandomTask

Re: TrackClip project

Post by RandomTask »

MikeWitham wrote:RandomTask,

I can confirm that if the placement is right a 3 LED cap will work. It would be easiest to use an existing TrackClip to get the spacing and placement correct, but it can be done.

Regards,
Hi Mike.

The dimensions of the CAP and the dimensions of the CLIP are completely different, so that won't apply.
MikeWitham

Post by MikeWitham »

RandomTask,

I believe you misunderstood me. The two versions we have are the TrackClip - which goes on a cap, and the TrackClip PRO - which goes on a headset. I apologize for the confusion, as I should have stated that more clearly.

Regards,
Mike Witham
TrackIR Product Manager
gpbarth

Post by gpbarth »

I just purchased your Combo - TrackIR and TrackClip Pro. Since I looked into this extensively prior to purchase, I am aware of the propensity of the TrackClip Pro to break. And I have been working on a cap-mounted LED system, with a battery pack, for the FreeTrack set-up, which I abandoned because of the (non) ease of set-up.

I am assuming that the TrackIR comes with the standard TrackClip, so I'll be using that as a positioner for the 3 LEDs I already have. And I'll be glad to let you know how it works.

I do wish that NaturalPoint would take all of this negative input and make a more durable Pro model. At $35 a pop, those things are very expensive for the quality.
MikeWitham

Post by MikeWitham »

gpbarth,

If you are using the standard TrackClip then the placement of the LEDs will be correct. I'd love to see pictures of your final product.

Regards,
Mike Witham
TrackIR Product Manager
gpbarth

Post by gpbarth »

Mike, I'm going to take pictures as I go on this, and I'll be glad to upload them to this thread. I do have questions, though, on the type of TrackClip and the use of the IR LEDs in the TrackIR camera. I have downloaded the manual and noticed that the light level of the onboard IR LEDs can be adjusted for ambient room light (brighter or dimmer). Just how far can one go in actually turning them off?

Does the selection of the type of TrackClip have anything to do with the control of these LEDs? If the stock TrackClip requires these LEDs, does the TrackClip Pro turn them off/disable them? Or do these LEDs remain on regardless of which TrackClip is being used?

And lastly, the choice of TrackClip or Pro determines where the camera looks for the 3 points of light only, correct? Horizontal or vertical? Doesn't matter if the source is reflective or active?

I'm installing the software now, so I'll be ready when I receive the hardware. I should have the cap 80% done by then - just need to mount the LEDs on the clip, and battery pack on the cap and I'll be all set to go.
MikeWitham

Post by MikeWitham »

gpbarth,

As for adjusting the LEDs in the software you can move them from 10-15. When you select TrackClip PRO it does turn off the internal LEDS.

The TrackClip and TrackClip PRO options tell the software what orientation it should be looking for. Which is why if you want a LED hat clip using the standard TrackClip is the only base that works well. You would also need to use the standard TrackClip option.

If you go into the Settings XML file, you may be able to alter "<LedsOn>1</LedsOn>" or "<IRIntensity>15</IRIntensity>" to adjust the internal LEDS. I'm not sure what impact this may have on the software or hardware. If you edit the XML to anything that isn't standard it would no longer be supported.

I can't wait to see how this turns out.

Regards,
Mike Witham
TrackIR Product Manager
gpbarth

Post by gpbarth »

Well, Mike, I finished the project. I used a Radio Shack 4-AA battery pack with an On/Off switch, a 33-ohm quarter-watt resistor, and 3 720-SFH485P IR 880nm LEDs, wired in series. I used 20-2 thermostat wire because it was solid, not stranded, so it was easier to shape into the hat. I used a short cord between the battery pack and the hat so I can put it in my pocket - mounting the batteries on the hat proved to be too cumbersome. I used the TrackClip to position the LEDs on the cap, so they're nearly identical in layout. I have pictures, but I have to edit them down to size for this forum.

Anyway, it works great when the system is set up for the TrackClip (horizontal). However, the LEDs in the camera stay on. I looked at the Settings.xml file for the "<LedsOn>1</LedsOn>" entry, and then I reset the system to use the TrackClip Pro, and the entry changed to "<LedsOn>0</LedsOn>". So I reset the system to use the TrackClip, and edited the xml file to "<LedsOn>0</LedsOn>", and re-launched, but the LEDs stayed on. So I'm not sure that the LedsOn line is the only thing that changes.
MikeWitham

Post by MikeWitham »

gpbarth,

I can't wait to see pictures of your solution. I will take some time today to toy around with the xml file and see if I can get the LEDs to turn off when using TrackClip as the tracking option.

Regards,
Mike Witham
TrackIR Product Manager
gpbarth

Post by gpbarth »

I tried to ZIP the 640x480 pics (7), but the size, 1.8Mb still is way over the 256Kb limit up here. If you give me an e-mail, I'll send them to you. You can e-mail me at *******@*******.com.

Hope you can figure out how to shut off the onboard LEDs.
MikeWitham

Post by MikeWitham »

gpbarth,

I sent you my email in a PM and removed your email address from the public forum. Looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Regards,
Mike Witham
TrackIR Product Manager