Sensor questions old vs new?

Zipgun

Sensor questions old vs new?

Post by Zipgun »

Hello,

A quick question does this look right to you guys? I have 5 total 4 are older models and just got another one yesterday. Now I build very high powered PC's and Lap's as hobby and for family and friends. Been into it since the 80's now I don't game these clips were for my kids etc. Now I do not cheap out on parts (now not showing or bragging just wanna say what type of rigs I build) I not only build the fastest PC's for my kids with the best gaming controllers you can buy. I also built one for me, I work in Fed Le but I still like to shop online and stuff. I also built all my wife's desktops and laptops. She is a MD (Cardiologist/Surgeon) and her rigs have to need to be reliable and durable or better than better.

Pardon the rant I just said all that as all but this clip have great durability my daughter broke her's twice in 2 different spots but Ive modded em and fixed em with metal parts. So not an issue I wasted time tho for some that is not expensive but not cheap either. Or I should say its not worth the price as its so fragile no offense but non of us want to waste time and money to either fix or as I'm doing posting on a forum. Btw all our previous 4 have broke I hope you guys have fixed this by now.

But back to my question and again sorry for the rant. But are the sensors supposed to look like this Ive uploaded one older one and one new one. And I know some may ask if I used it but like I said I don't know if its supposed to be like this as the sensor is exposed unlike the older ones with the yellow lens cap.

So its this a new thing or do I have a defective item? Hope you understand my message.

Thank you.
Greg
Attachments
Older model with non exposed sensor.
Older model with non exposed sensor.
DSC01923a.JPG (81.62 KiB) Viewed 3220 times
New one and NO it does not have a lens cap that's just the reflection off the plastic but as you can see the sensor is exposed.
New one and NO it does not have a lens cap that's just the reflection off the plastic but as you can see the sensor is exposed.
3.jpg (106.83 KiB) Viewed 3220 times
new and old
new and old
4.jpg (61.9 KiB) Viewed 3220 times
MikeWitham

Re: Sensor questions old vs new?

Post by MikeWitham »

Hello Zipgun,

I understand your concern, because no one wants to get stuck with a product that has a defect. The short answer is, no, you don't have a defective unit.

The longer answer is that you are seeing are the upgrades that have been done since you purchased your previous TrackClip PROs. The big change is in the plastics that we use, there was a problem when shipping the older units, that when exposed to the low temperatures of a cargo plane it would weaken the plastic. It made it difficult to pinpoint the issue, but it has been corrected now. The new plastic has made them a lot sturdier inside and out. We have also switched the LEDs to ones with a longer life. We do our best to find and correct any issues with our products and implement solutions whenever we can. Some you can see, some you can't.

I hope that this helps answer your questions.

Regards,
Mike Witham
TrackIR Product Manager
Zipgun

Re: Sensor questions old vs new?

Post by Zipgun »

MikeWitham wrote:Hello Zipgun,

I understand your concern, because no one wants to get stuck with a product that has a defect. The short answer is, no, you don't have a defective unit.

The longer answer is that you are seeing are the upgrades that have been done since you purchased your previous TrackClip PROs. The big change is in the plastics that we use, there was a problem when shipping the older units, that when exposed to the low temperatures of a cargo plane it would weaken the plastic. It made it difficult to pinpoint the issue, but it has been corrected now. The new plastic has made them a lot sturdier inside and out. We have also switched the LEDs to ones with a longer life. We do our best to find and correct any issues with our products and implement solutions whenever we can. Some you can see, some you can't.

I hope that this helps answer your questions.

Regards,
Hi Mike,

No you answered all my questions to a T. I'm out of town so I'll have my son try it out but I'm sure it will be fine as other than the joints they always worked as advertised, well glad you guys worked on the breakage problems and installed better LED's now I may have to order some new ones for the others as well haha. Thanks for the reply and info etc Mike.
Have a nice day.