Power surge on Clip

Regen7

Power surge on Clip

Post by Regen7 »

Hi,

I've recently had issues with my track ir pro clip. Everytime I plug it into a USB port it always comes up with 'USB Device has exceeded the power limits of its hub port'.

It causes the USB to switch off until I reconnect and reset it. I have suspected a short in the wires however have traced the red and black wires from the USB cable to the LEDs and there is no contact between them or broken wires.

The resistor also appears fine and am at a loss for what the issue is. I really don't want to but a new one because of how expensive they've become.

Thanks
mitsuohf

Re: Power surge on Clip

Post by mitsuohf »

I am getting that exact same error, I also cannot use my clip.
Regen7

Post by Regen7 »

I havent been able to fix it so I'm guessing there must be a damaged component somewhere.

I have decided to order a chinese copy of the Trackclip Pro from Aliexpress. Apparently about the same price but higher build quality if the reviews are to be believed. I'll write if its worth it when I receive it.
mitsuohf

Post by mitsuohf »

Any updates?
Regen7

Post by Regen7 »

Never followed up. I ordered the alibaba chinese copy a few years ago.

Was actually pretty decent, but still not too cheap. Build quality was much more sturdy and didn't feel fragile like the official version. The fork with the LED's can spin 360 degrees without a wire being at risk from damage since it is attached using a male-female connector.

The knockoff has a small battery that lets it charge while connected so you can play without a cable, problem I had was the battery died after maybe half a year (either I got a fluke with a bad battery or manufacturer not using good batteries). I could disconnect the battery and still play with the cable.

I'm having to buy another now after 2 years because the IR Diodes no longer work. I'm not sure if they burnt out because the tracker is designed to have the battery connected and too much power was flowing to the diodes and shortened their life.

Anyway, will be ordering another since the official version is still too expensive.
Last edited by Regen7 on Thu Jul 27, 2023 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.