Is this possible? Need to know before I buy!

brandtryan

Is this possible? Need to know before I buy!

Post by brandtryan »

I'm going to use the trackir 4 behind me, or alternately to the left or right of me. I'm using a ceiling mounted projector for a display--so there is really nothing to put in front of me to hold the trackIR device. My computer is directly behind my head on a stand--and I'm on a couch with two end tables next to it. I was thinking of wearing a cap, and putting a dot on the back of it (i've done this with limited success with the trackir1). However, I'd like to use the trackclip pro.

So--I've read it has to be on the LEFT side of any earphones/headsets--but is it also limited to looking forward? Can I mount the clip so it faces backwards on my leftside? Thanks in advance for any help.
VincentG

Re: Is this possible? Need to know before I buy!

Post by VincentG »

Well you could mount it onto the right side of the headset, if you are going to mount the TrackIR unit behind you.
Catch22

Post by Catch22 »

All the axes of movement are invertable, so you shouldn't have a problem mounting it behind you.
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

Correct, there are settings in the software to compensate for it as well.
brandtryan

Post by brandtryan »

I'm getting it today--can't wait to try it out with LOMAC: Flaming Cliffs and IL2: 1946! I bought a headset too--and plan to clip the clip to the right side, facing behind me, where the trackir device will be placed.
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

Sounds like a plan sir, and enjoy....
brandtryan

Post by brandtryan »

Sounds like a plan sir, and enjoy....
I've got everything setup right, being backwards and all--but I'm running into a processor hog problem. I read somewhere that the application while running takes something like 2% of the cpu usage.

In my task manager--when trackir is running, I'm getting like 20-50% usage. When I close the application, I'm back to 2% or so. Any ideas? I've installed the latest software--though I had a previous installation from my original trackir from years ago.
brandtryan

Post by brandtryan »

I plugged it into an different USB port, and now when it runs, it only takes 2% or so. Problem solved.
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

It shouldn't be running that high.

1 - Check the profile file sizes, and see if any are over 4KB in size, C:\Program Files\NaturalPoint\TrackIR4\Profiles

2 - Remove the TrackIR software by doing the following:
a. Click "Start"
b. Click on the "Control Panel"
c. Click "Add/Remove Programs"
d. Find "TrackIR" and click "Change/Remove"
e. Once launched it will give the option to completely remove it.
f. Delete the NaturalPoint folder at the following location, C:\Program Files\NaturalPoint
g. Download and reinstall the software from the following location, http://media.naturalpoint.com/software/ ... .Final.exe
brandtryan

Post by brandtryan »

I think you were posting right when I posted that I'd fixed it by plugging it into another usb port.

At any rate--this device exceeded all of my expectations. I've just flown a mission in LOMAC: Flaming Cliffs and IL2: 1946 after tweaking the trackir a bit--and it is jaw-dropping unbelievable. A 200% increase in ease of use and performance over my original trackir from years ago. Plus, I use just the one "combat" profile for both il2 and lomac. Plus, it's all physically behind me--so I just plop down on the couch, turn off the lights, turn on the projector (100 inches, HD), pull my Cougar up to the couch, and I'm off flying. It's a joy just to fly around, let alone the combat!

A technical note for others w/ similiar setup: you only need to invert the forwards/backwards and up/down axis. This assumes you have the trackclip pro on the right side of your headset (with the trackir behind you).

Thanks for the quick responses Vincent--