How much does TrackClip Pro improve tracking?

jackcklam

How much does TrackClip Pro improve tracking?

Post by jackcklam »

I already know some benefits of TrackClip Pro.

I know it clips on a headset and won't interfere with the use of a large headset like a baseball cap does. Also, some reviews say it provides more accurate tracking.

However, I very much prefer not being hooked up to a USB cable. Also, I don't plan to use a large headset. A "behind-the-ear" style headset will be sufficient for my use.

So the question is, how much real world improvement will the TrackClip Pro offer over the baseball cap + trackclip reflector. If I get good enough tracking performance without the Pro, I will save that extra expense / trouble.

thx.
VincentG

Re: How much does TrackClip Pro improve tracking?

Post by VincentG »

It tends to be subjective. Currently when selecting the vector or TrackClip pro, it just changes the orientation of the dots for tracking purposes
jackcklam

Post by jackcklam »

Can you be more specific in the difference btw the two products? I can't find any meaningful info on this one.

Have you seen many complaints from users about the trackclip visor being inferior in real world performance? IE, do you see a clear preference from users favoring the trackclip Pro?

I mainly use it for Flight Sim X and will need 6DOF.

thx
Catch22

Post by Catch22 »

Just get the visor clip if you only have "behind-the-ear" headsets and don't mind wearing a hat. I doubt you would really notice any difference in the tracking ability.

The Vector Clip has a few advantages over the TrackClip Pro. It's extremely durable, where the TrackClip Pro tends to come appart easily. The frame of the Vector Clip is also non-reflective, yet the TrackClip Pro will sometimes reflect off it's lower LED bar causing tracking issues. Tracking performance, as far as I can tell, is the same. IIRC though, I think I remember reading somewhere that the TrackClip Pro has a farther maximum range, but I don't really want to look that up right now. Check the manuals section if you're curious enough. If there are any other shortcommings, I'm not aware of them since I tend to not use the Vector Clip.

I use the TrackClip Pro. It's a matter of prefering a headset clip over a hat. That's why it was created, and that's why I like it. I always put my headset on before loading up a game, so I never have to think about putting on the clip. The second wire doesn't bother me, it not any more inconvienient than the one wire from my headset.
opcartmell

Post by opcartmell »

I don't think it improves performance at all. I use both depending on when I'm using track IR. If computer voices would disturb someone else, I use the headset with the Track Clip PRO and use the hat clip when background noise is not a problem. Both work well.

Regarding a reflection from the lower arm of the Track Clip Pro; just turn off the infrared LED's in the Track IR. Since the Track Clip generates it's own IR, it doesn't rely on reflections.
Catch22

Post by Catch22 »

[quote=loop_n_roll]Regarding a reflection from the lower arm of the Track Clip Pro; just turn off the infrared LED's in the Track IR. Since the Track Clip generates it's own IR, it doesn't rely on reflections.[/quote]

Actually, the reflection comes from the Clips own LED lights, not the TrackIR's.

You have to be looking up at at steep angle for it to cause reflections though.
oqvist

Post by oqvist »

I just got TrackClip Pro and for me the tracking is worse... Because the way it�s oriented the middle and bottom pointer sometimes collide making looking down very hard to achieve... It often stops in the middle. No matter how I try that is impossible with the hat clip ;)

Don�t know if there is any real solution other then increase the sensitivity and loose precision...

Otherwise the tracking side to side, forward/back etc is just the same as with the hat so there is no improvement that way.
Also it seemed more finicky about being in the absolute center or it would track bad to the sides. More so then the ordinary hat clip.

But since I wear glasses it gets a bit much with glasses/headphone and cap so it�s a bit disappointing that I just can�t get the looking down option smooth... Especially since I am much into flight sims and want to be able to watch my instruments with ease in FS9/FSX.
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

Looking at the tracking screen, it is centered?

The camera is also moved to the left side of the monitor?

How high above the clip itself, is the camera set at?
oqvist

Post by oqvist »

I tried with it centered of course and that is actually the worst position... Because then the lines are in almost a straight row...

In the manual it says you shouldn�t have it pointing out for optimum tracking either... That would solve the problems with the dots interfer with eachother but then the software don�t understand my head position correctly I assume?
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

So the dots are fairly vertical, in the tracking screen?