Sell to me

kalorvoe

Sell to me

Post by kalorvoe »

Hi guys,

Aplogies if any of this is in a FAQ, but if it is it's pretty hard to find.

I'm a first person shooter gamer (particularly HL2) with tendonitis in my arms.

I don't give a flying fajita about racing or flight sim games, nor do I care if I can realistically lean or pick my nose in a game. All I'm looking for is the ability to move my head instead of my hand and therby be able to play Half-Life 2, and possibly also use it for work.

So my questions are:

1) Does TrackIR replace the mouse in games that are not on the official game list?

2) Can you use TrackIR for windows (business) application use instead of a mouse?
THM655321

Re: Sell to me

Post by THM655321 »

Not until they add keyboard mapping to the software, so no.
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

Generally, the TrackIR can be used to emulate the mouse, in most gaming applications.

No the TrackIR can not be used on the system desktop. That would be the SmartNAV line of products.

https://www.naturalpoint.com/smartnav/
kalorvoe

Post by kalorvoe »

Thanks for replying.

Does that mean if I buy SmartNav I can't play games with it?

This review of TrackIR 3 says you can move the cursor on the desktop: http://www.cluboc.net/reviews/game_gear/trackir/2.htm
Did they turn it off?

I really need something that can do desktop cursor movement and games as well (mouse emulation will do). SmartNav is priced inaccessibly. TrackIR is just in reach, but xxxxxxxxxxx
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

The SmartNAV can also be used within games, as either a mouse emulator, or with the TrackIR software.

With the older 3.13 software there was some mouse emulation capabilities, for the older hardware. The review you were looking at is about 4 years old.........

Your comments were edited due to a reference to software that allows customers to use copyrighted material.....
kalorvoe

Post by kalorvoe »

OK, I understand the need for market segregation (gamer vs disabled). I seem to straddle the two, so I'm not sure NaturalPoint can help me.

Apologies for the wrong reference- why can't we mention a freeware application on this forum? Are they doing something that breaches your copyrighted IP?
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

Yes........
patsphone2

Post by patsphone2 »

I thought there was a HL2 mod that utilized the TrackIR SDK, but I'm not sure. Try and Google it.