Track Clip Pro or Hat Clip?

Seth Steiling

Re: I prefer the Track Clip (Hat Clip) to Track Clip Pro

Post by Seth Steiling »

Your camera positioning looks good, and I don't see any indication that tracking is being interfered with. Try editing your profile to test if it's possible to look further back in FSX. Edit the Pitch axis by selecting it in the profile editing section and bumping the curve up 2-4 times with the green arrow. Then test it in FSX (maybe a config setting?). If you still can't look higher, then it would suggest to me that there is a limitation within FSX. If you are able to look higher, then you'll just need to tweak the profile to get the results you need.
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
ryanbatc

Post by ryanbatc »

Ok that helped a bit, but now the view changes rapidly.... I suppose its a trade off. I still have the speed set at .6 instead of 1 - I found 1 to be way too fast.

I also changed the yaw up two points - I was having issues with turning my head to the left, it would lose sight of the camera I think and then pick it up again. I do have the camera on the left side of my monitor. Is this correct?
Seth Steiling

Post by Seth Steiling »

If you lowered the speed slider (which is a global modifier that affects all axes), I can almost guarantee that it is the cause of the behavior you are experiencing. Setting the speed slider at .6 will reduce the scaling of your actual head movement by 40%, which will not allow you to to look as far in-game.

It is unusual that you found setting the Speed at 1 too fast. I would recommend giving it another go (but first changing the Seth-Flight profile back to its default setting-probably best to re-download it). Then, give yourself at least a couple of hours to get acclimated to the motion. If you feel like it's still too fast for you, isolate which movements in particular you are having issues with, and edit their axes specifically instead of using the speed slider. This allows much better fine-tuning.

So, if you find that roll and zoom are too responsive, but everything else is OK, then bump them "down" (using the green arrow) once or twice and try again.

Additionally, you might try my FPS profile. It's actually somewhat similar, but it has a heavier deadzone. Try it out and see if you like having a deadzone, in which case you can adapt the Flight profile to have one as well.

One other trick for increasing the distance you can look "up" (on the pitch axis)--when you hit F12 to recenter, look down slightly. This will recalibrate the center point a bit lower than you'll actually look by default, which will in turn allow you to look "up" with less head movement.

Ultimately, as you observed, there is an inverse correlation between scaling the motion down (to "slow it down") and keeping the range of motion maximized (which relies on scaling it up). The key is to find the ideal balance, which really differs from user to user.
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
Seth Steiling

Post by Seth Steiling »

[quote=ryanbatc]I do have the camera on the left side of my monitor. Is this correct?[/quote] Yep, the camera should be on the left side of your monitor, so it is roughly centered on the TrackClip PRO.
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
TwilightZone

Post by TwilightZone »

[quote=NaturalPoint - Seth]The difference between the two is somewhat subjective, but there are some reasons to believe that the TrackClip PRO offers slightly increased tracking accuracy (which is what many of its advocates from within the TrackIR community believe):

- As you turn your head with the standard TrackClip, the visible size of the reflecting area changes (less is visible depending on how your head is rotated). This requires more math to determine whether markers were changing size due actual movement or due to less visible area. The TrackClip PRO's bulbs present a more consistent size for tracking, which leads to more precision (which can be important if you're applying a lot of amplification).
[/quote]

with the hat clip i get that it changes......the reflective portion on th arcs would change size based on head movement to angle of the trackir.....but....if you guys change the reflective arcs to reflective spheres....no matter how you move your head.....wouldnt the side of the reflective spheres always be same size in relation to the trackir?.......consistent reflective size......less math to determine movement.......:-)