Loose, easy to break?

SVoyager

Loose, easy to break?

Post by SVoyager »

Hi, I have bought a trackir4 pro a few years ago and have been using mostly the hat reflectors instead of the trackclip pro.

Decided to try the clip pro lately and found it to be able to track better. The problem is that the clip pro seems to be a bit fragile.

The other day, i hit it by mistake and the clip almost opened up. The part that lets you make a small rotation of the ir emitters just got out of its "socket" and the emitters was just hanging by the wires only. The casing almost split opened with the wires starting to come out. ouch. So i placed it back in but since then, its a bit more loose to the point where it will rotate almost by itself if i make a strong head movement.

I could possibly just glue it in but nevertheless, i found the clip pro a bit fragile.

Has anyone got the same issues with their clips?

I am also considering getting the trackir5, are the clips that are included with it are of the same design as the ones sold about 2-3 years ago?

Thanks in advance!
Geoff1155

Re: Loose, easy to break?

Post by Geoff1155 »

I've got TrackIR 5 and unfortunately the same thing has happened, except on mine one of the two narrow legs snapped as I tried to plug it back in. Great!

I'm not sure how it happened, came back home to find my partner listening to music and the emitters hanging off by the wires. Both legs were still attached but one snapped as I brought them into contact with each other.

I haven't seen a TIR4 TrackClipPro up close to see whether the the design is the same, but it doesn't sound any more robust on the TIR5. It has a small rubber washer round the junction between the emitters and the base, so that might at least give more friction and less unintentional swivel if it's not there on TIR4.

Wouldn't two or three wide legs with small gaps to allow compression of the 'ring' be a more robust design, more plastic to soak up the stress of bending if it does pop out?

I guess I'll have to contact my UK reseller to sort this one out.

Yours, fed up! Geoff.
Richardg

Post by Richardg »

Mine just broke. Why is it made with such a cheap piece of flimsy plastic? And how thwe do you fix this?
Last edited by Richardg on Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:11 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: content
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

Please email support with camera serial number, and the issue you are having.
SVoyager

Post by SVoyager »

Yes mine seems to be exactly like you described yes.

Indeed maybe a stronger design on the plastic legs. I can only think that they did this to prevent the whole thing from breaking should one hit it hard by mistake. (better have the thing come out of its socket when hit hard so that it prevents breaking the whole clip altogether).

I don't know how much they could improve on the design tho. Maybe something like the magnet they use on the tir5 camera?
DavieCrock

Post by DavieCrock »

FYI... One other issue is the bad selection for expansive foam within the clip.

I've had my clip pro for about two weeks. I quickly noticed that when you remove it from the headset, it does not expand back to its original shape.

I quized NP support about this issue. Per the support response, if it hasn't returned to its original shape within 48 hours, it will not.

This will be an issue if you believe you may want to change headsets, which I am contemplating. You would need some type of double tape to keep it syncronized with your head movements.

I hope some find this information helpful.
Slides

Post by Slides »

Yeah, I too am a little disappointed with the build quality of the clip.

I understand they have margins to worry about, but still...
Elefant

Post by Elefant »

When it first arrived, opened it and there it was two locking clip was sticking out from the main body (between the O rubber ring and the main body). Take a deep breath and push it in and to my relieved nothing broke.

Great product from Natural Point and should be better if they ironed out this little production problem.
zielho

Post by zielho »

Mine is toast, after using it for 2 months or so.

It felt on the floor from my chair (40cm height). The wires just snapped so it's useless now.

Any warrenty on this product?

I hope you guys make a better Clip soon.
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

Please email support with an image of the damage, as well as your camera serial number.