Need advice on securing trackclip pro

peppergomez

Need advice on securing trackclip pro

Post by peppergomez »

I don't use headphones when I game, and even if i do use my headset, i tilt the mic up and rest the headset on my shoulders, so the problem with the trackclip pro seems to be this:

Naturalpoint seem to have designed it to work with headphones, and and only headphones. If they had allowed either the arm or the base of the trackclip pro to rotate or pivot downwards, it would be possible to attch the trackclip to horizontal surfaces, like the naturalpoint cap, a headband, or eyeglasses. As it is, I can't think of anything other than headphones to attach it to. Certainly not my ear! :-)

This seems like a real oversite on Naturalpoint's part...why limit its use to only headphones? I have a great 5.1 Logitech speaker set, so no way am I going to use headphones.

Has anyone else figured out a way to attach the trackclip to something other than headphones?

Maybe I can thread a thin string or elastic through it.

Naturalpoint, if you ever redesign this otherwise nice piece of equipment, please enable a wider range of motion.
NaturalPoint - Mike

Re: Need advice on securing trackclip pro

Post by NaturalPoint - Mike »

Hello -

I know of a few others who have had this problem, the consensus seems to be a headband of some sort.
cyberqat

Post by cyberqat »

I have the same issue, Im considering trying some industrial strength Veclro and a cap.
Rangoon

Post by Rangoon »

Is there really no, good, standard setup for use of the trackclip pro without headphones? I have wondered this since they first came on the market, but just assumed NaturalPoint would not have limited their market to just headphones users.

Does the trackclip pro work significantly better than the usual hat clip I have had since TrackIR 3? I'm considering today finally ordering a TrackIR 5 with the TrackClip Pro, which would be my third Track IR unit (have used them since 1 or 2, and currently have a 3 with vector expansion).

Is it worth it to buy the trackclip pro if I DON'T use headphones? Or will the standard reflective clip work just as well with TrackIR 5?

One more thing. Because of my particular set up, I have found that having the TrackIR unit sitting behind me on a stand works best. I just put my trackhat on backwards and the clip faces backwards. With a few axes inverted, it works beautifully. Will this still work with a TrackClip Pro?

Thanks!
NaturalPoint - Mike

Post by NaturalPoint - Mike »

The standard vector clip works just fine, however the TrackClip Pro generally gives an expanded range of motion. Additionally, because the camera is no longer generating IR light, it uses less energy (And generates slightly less heat) while operating, and does not have as many issues with reflective interference.