Camera placement

CDtech07

Camera placement

Post by CDtech07 »

What have you found to be the best placement of 3 cameras to get the best tracking results? I have mine about 3 feet apart and 5 feet high on a wall with the outside 2 (obviously) angled inward at approximately a 50 degree angle. Would it work better if i mounted the center camera in a corner and the outsides 5 or 6 feet apart from the center? And lastly, do you get better results if they are mounted higher up and angled downward?
Birch

Re: Camera placement

Post by Birch »

(I am guessing that you are using the Point Cloud toolkit)

You may get a larger capture volume and improved tracking (due to less occlusion) if you go with the second configuration you mention. If you are using FLEX:V100 cameras, the (stock) low distortion lenses and you have enough room, you could increase your capture volume considerably by moving the cameras back a couple feet. The last stage of the calibration tool will allow you to visualize the capture volume, which can be helpful in finding the optimal setup.
niallm

Re: Camera placement

Post by niallm »

Hi
One technique I've developed is to do a ball park placement of the cameras, to get the coverage I'm looking for.
Then I'll place a marker in each corner of the anticipated floor space. Then I'll put one in the centre of the floor. Finally I'll use a tripod and extend it to the height of the desired capture volume and place a marker on top. Once all is in place fire up the calibration tool and adjust the cameras so that the centre top and bottom markers are in view of all cameras. Then rotate each camera so that at least two of the adjacent corners are visible in each camera.
Once all is in place take the calibration wand and move it around within the boundaries defined by the markers. It should show up in at least three cameras all the time.
Now youre ready to do the calibration. Don't forget to remove all the markers from the cameras field of view before starting.

Hope this helps.

Niall