Point Cloud with PCI8132 API

boonster

Point Cloud with PCI8132 API

Post by boonster »

I'm working on a project where i need to work with Point Cloud API and a ADLINK PCI8132 motor controller card (http://www.adlinktech.com/PD/web/PD_det ... =&id=&sid=) at the same time and same PC (windows xp pro).
I'm using C# to program.
The problem is the program will be working fine if i use the Point Cloud API and the motor controller card separately.
However, the program will crash when i try to use both at the same time.

At times, I may get the "USB Device not recognized..." error for the connected optitrack v100 cameras whenever the motor controller card is used. it's as if the usb connection is reset.

any advice?
VincentG

Re: Point Cloud with PCI8132 API

Post by VincentG »

System specs?

Are you using the systems built-in USB ports, or a USB-PCI add-on card?
boonster

Post by boonster »

Intel core 2 duo 2.4GHz
2 GB RAM 667 MHz
Win XP Pro SP3
NuPro965LV motherboard
RK606FC 6-slot 2 USB front access connector
PBPE-6 backplane
APS-935XA-EPS12 power supply
DVDRW
160GB HDD SATA
PS2 keyboard and mouse
2-port serial pci ST-lab

I've experimented switching to different USB ports. It didn't work.

Anyway, another issue to solve assuming not using the motor controller: I use 10 V100 cameras and the setup is about 10m x 3m. 5m USB extension cables are used. I noticed that the USB connection is not very stable. Is it better to connect all cameras to a hub and then connect the hub to one port on the PC or to connect all/most of the cameras directly to the different USB ports on the PC? eg.: 7 direct and 3 from a hub.
From Windows > Device manager, i can observe that the connection may toggle on/off randomly and sometimes, the "USB device not recognised" message will show.
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

The extension cables you are using?

Are they just standard USB extension cables, or active extension cables?

Are you using them between the cameras, and the hubs?
boonster

Post by boonster »

I'm using active extension cable

I'm using them between cameras and hub. So far, none of the connection is using more than 2 active extension cable from PC to hub and hub to camera.

By the way, any issue if the hub which is the D-link usb hub with 5V, 3A from NaturalPoint is not grounded? As in the power adapter is 2-pin. Will it make the connection unstable due to the lack of grounding?
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

Not sure about the ground issue, but it is not recommended to use the active extensions between the camera and the hub.