System presence simulation for SDK (pre)-development?

sdaau

System presence simulation for SDK (pre)-development?

Post by sdaau »

Hi all,

First of all sorry if this has already been asked before - or if this is the wrong forum to ask. I tried using the search (the search function of the forum not being available until you register and log in confused me a bit) but I couldn't find anything similar.

I am about to work with an Optitrack system (I guess, not exactly sure yet of the model), and I inherited some code which I should look through. And I would like to begin even without being present in the lab with the cameras.

The code contains, for instance:

Code: Select all

#include "pointcloud.h"
#import  "pointcloud.tlb"
			for(int i=0; i<cameraCount; i++)
			{
				CComPtr<INPPointCloudCamera> camera;
				pointCloud->GetCamera(i, &camera);
				double x,y,z;
				double camMatrix[9];

camera->get_X(&x);
So I was wandering - does there exist some sort of an executable, that will simulate presence of an Optitrack system; I'd imagine calling something like this:

Code: Select all

optitracksim.exe -camcount=3 -markcount=5 -motion=none
in the background - so that when I run "my" software I do get an approximation of the working system (except I'd get a zero for camera->get_X(&x); for "-motion=none", or a corresponding coordinate for say a simulated circular motion)

Is there some software that will allow something like this?

I tried looking through Sample Applications :: OptiTrack :: Optical Motion Capture Solutions :: Capture Your Vision -
http://www.naturalpoint.com/optitrack/s ... tions.html
but I cannot see anything there.. On the other hand, I saw that it says:
[quote="http://www.naturalpoint.com/optitrack/s ... tions.html"]
Point Cloud & Rigid Body (Retired)
[/quote]
and since the code currrently uses "pointcloud.tlb" - does it mean that it should be upgraded?

Thanks,

Cheers!
VincentG

Re: System presence simulation for SDK (pre)-development?

Post by VincentG »

What specifically are you looking to do, with the OptiTrack camera?

There currently is no camera simulator, for working with the programming software. Most users have at least one camera attached to the system, for code testing, if needed.
sdaau

Post by sdaau »

Hi Vincent,

Thanks a lot for your response!

[quote=NaturalPoint - Vincent]What specifically are you looking to do, with the OptiTrack camera?[/quote]
Well, my first job is to do use code like above, and make a program that sends data from cameras through the network. And for such a thing, I thought it would have been convenient to work with a "simulator", since then I wouldn't have to have physical access to the equipment just to solve data formatting problems and such. (Btw, I am not yet certain of the final application of that data myself yet).

[quote=NaturalPoint - Vincent]There currently is no camera simulator, for working with the programming software. Most users have at least one camera attached to the system, for code testing, if needed. [/quote]

Thanks - good to know this.

Btw, do I need to worry about "Point Cloud" being "Retired" (does that mean it will be obsolete soon)?

Cheers!
Birch

Post by Birch »

sdaau wrote:Btw, do I need to worry about "Point Cloud" being "Retired" (does that mean it will be obsolete soon)?

If possible, we recommend upgrading from the old style "Tracking Toolkits" ("Point Cloud" & "Rigid Body") application and SDK to the new "Tracking Tools 2.0" application and SDK. The old versions of the toolkits are no longer being actively developed or updated.

http://www.naturalpoint.com/optitrack/s ... q.html#q16
16. Can a Rigid Body or Point Cloud license be used with the Tracking Tools 2.0 software?

Rigid Body toolkit licenses are compatible with the Tracking Tools 2.0 software.

Point Cloud toolkit licenses are not compatible with the Tracking Tools 2.0 software. If you have a Point Cloud license and would like to upgrade to the Tracking Tools 2.0, please contact our support team for details.
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

As far as streaming goes, if you look at using the NatNet interface for sending data across the network, it does have a sample server and client application for testing with.

http://www.naturalpoint.com/optitrack/s ... #streaming

Real-time Streaming and Extras
[Show NatNet, VRPN & Trackd]
sdaau

Post by sdaau »

Hi all,

Just wanted to say thanks about all the responses - both about the upgrade and the NetNat.

Originally, I was supposed to deal with simply converting the network data to our final destination, which is why I thought a simulator would have been nice, to avoid being present at the development machine.

However, now I've started working at the development machine, as there are some changes - it seems I'm now moved to working with some NetNat code instead (and with it I must be at the dev machine anyway).

Thanks again for all the responses,
Cheers!