arena expression , how to get head rotation?

lalamax3d

arena expression , how to get head rotation?

Post by lalamax3d »

Hi everyone.
i m attempting to use facial session captures in blender.
c3d file imports well. problem is, head four markers.
any ideas about how to get head rotation and translation from these four markers?

i also bring same data to mobo. seems similar issue?
any ideas?
thanks in advance
lala
NaturalPoint - Mike

Re: arena expression , how to get head rotation?

Post by NaturalPoint - Mike »

Hello -

Does the rotation work when exporting to BVH or FBX?

What version of expression are you using?
lalamax3d

Post by lalamax3d »

in c3d and fbx, i get head markers and empties (nulls / dummies) in motion builder. they are moving (translating)..
i am still stuck at extracting exact rotation..
my expression version is 1.7.3

btw:
the day i post here, in next hour i get email from a company providing same (facial capture solution)dealing nicely with head rotations by giving options while export.i.e
1- export has option to remove( head translation / rotation)

anyways, i am still hoping that, there is a decent way in arena to export without head translation / rotation
or
decent method in mobu, to convert head rotation / translation from these four markers.
all face bones ( controls ) will be child of that head bone. and later on, i can remove trasnlation / head data and it will almost become identical to first option (direct export with subtracting head data)
huge thanks in advance for support
lala
lalamax3d

Post by lalamax3d »

i just noticed that, you guys have a mobu plugin (top thread in this this forum. should i try that plugin> i am using mobu 2012? will it work? any ideas?
lalamax3d

Post by lalamax3d »

i watched that video, and it seems it can solve issue, i am facing. i tried but plugin doesn't work in motion builder 2012.
lalamax3d

Post by lalamax3d »

ok, i found latest plugin from website and its working. it seems i am getting closer to see final data in motion builder and then hopefully to blender.
NaturalPoint - Mike

Post by NaturalPoint - Mike »

Hello -

When streaming facial data via the mobu plugin, there is an option in the plugin properties for expression data. Make sure that this option is checked, and it will bring in the rotation and position data.
lalamax3d

Post by lalamax3d »

i am checking that right now. as deadline coming closer and pressure is building. i have to be more quick. really appriciate your prompt responses.

in arena expression: (streaming tab) i can see these option
1- RightHand Coord
2- 3D marker positions
3- Local Marker Position
4- Rigid Body Data
5- Local Child Data
6- skeleton as rigid bodies
7- pause when markers are missing
8- pause when rigid bodies tracking fails

btw: in tutorial (from same forum) guy recommends to turn first four options checked.
i tried all four on, then checking fifth and on and off (each time i stopped and start streaming again) nothing difference.
in all cases, head rotation is stopped and head markers attempts to stablize. for my use, its kind of nice.
at this point, my only wish is i could have similar data in c3d. as it contains only emotions. no head translation and or rotation.

anyways. in mobu. i installed latest plugin (from web) there are two devices in assets folder ( optiTrack Optical and optiTrack VCS). i beleive that optiTrack Optical is the one. as i drag drop that in scene and create optical model, it starts showing points ( face markers showing emotions). at this point, its also showing head markers but they are not moving (slightly jiggle while attempt to stablize head). i wasn't able to see any options for head rotations here.
can u please guide me in right direction, specially if i am missing some major step.
thanks, lala
lalamax3d

Post by lalamax3d »

ok, i figured that out. while looking mobu plugin manual carefully. very well written. it was in device properties. as i clicked it. i can see head bone rotation(viewer) device must be st to expression.

btw: in my case, expression didn't output bvh file(disabled). fbx and c3d outs are there.
anyways, thanks for your support
cheers
lala
yourchang

Post by yourchang »

Hello lalamax3d

When you are recording in motionbuilder,can you see the head rotating?