out of memory error when loading grs grayscale video

dsc

out of memory error when loading grs grayscale video

Post by dsc »

Hi,

I have a problem loading a grayscale video file (.grs) into Arena 1.7.1 as a "Scene AV file"

The file is 1.84 GB big, and after munching on it for a bit Arena displays a dialog saying "Out of memory." Other, smaller files captured in the same session open fine.

This is on Windows XP with 4GB of RAM.

What I would like to do is simply export the video to .avi.

Any help would be appreciated,
Dietmar
NaturalPoint - Mike

Re: out of memory error when loading grs grayscale video

Post by NaturalPoint - Mike »

Hmm, this is a tricky situation as the file is just on the cusp of being too big to load. Arena is currently a 32 bit build, which means it has a memory cap of 2GB. Compounding this is Windows XP which additionally applies memory limitations. When you load Arena, it consumes some video memory and some system memory that comes out of that 2GB cap, leaving you with less to load such intensive files.

You can try using various techniques to make Arena "Large Address Aware", which can help to increase the memory soft cap (though often times not by much). A good writeup on this can be found here. Don't forget to also read and apply the fix to make Windows large address aware (Add the /3GB switch).
dsc

Post by dsc »

I couldn't get it to work on my XP machine, but on a colleagues Windows 7 64 bit machine with the Large Address Aware program from your link I managed to load and export the file.

Thanks for the help!
NaturalPoint - Mike

Post by NaturalPoint - Mike »

Not a problem! Glad to hear it was working OK for you!