Using Arena for arm and hand capture

RoboGuy

Using Arena for arm and hand capture

Post by RoboGuy »

Hi

I need to use Arena for arm, hand and possibly finger tracking. From my research, it seems that Arena is mainly used for full body/skeleton tracking. To just do arm, hand and finger tracking, I would need to set the fingers, hand and arm as a set of rigid bodies then? Is there a better way to do this?
Seth Steiling

Re: Using Arena for arm and hand capture

Post by Seth Steiling »

Arena does not support finger tracking, and it doesn't provide a good path for manually labeling markers, so it probably won't suit your needs very well.

Our new software package Motive (which has replaced Arena and Tracking Tools, both of which are now deprecated) does offer finger tracking (with certain camera models and sufficient camera count), but the automatic solving and labeling for finger markers presently requires full skeleton tracking.

If you only want to track from the arm down, you will need to track the arm and hand segments as rigid bodies and the fingers as unidentified markers. Then, in post, you can manually label the individual markers with whatever name you want. This can be a time-consuming process if you have a high volume of markers and/or recordings, but it will provide a path for labeling any markers that aren't part of a defined skeleton or rigid body.

If you require real-time labeling for markers outside of a skeleton or rigid body, that is something that we do not presently support. Providing this functionality via a spring model labeler or some other means is on our road map, though.
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
RoboGuy

Re: Using Arena for arm and hand capture

Post by RoboGuy »

I will think about acquiring Motive then. However in the mean time I would like to see how far I can get with this.

I am also having another problem. I am trying to stream data from mocap to another computer on my network. I am using ROS and trying to capture the data streamed. There does exist a ROS node that captures the streamed data and publishes it as a transform. However I am not capturing the data. I set the streaming to multicast and put the IP of my other computer. I selected Rigid Hand Coord, 3D Marker Positions, Rigid Body Data and Rigid Body Marker Pros to stream. However I am still not getting any data. I am very sure that the ROS node is running fine. So the problem is in my streaming. What is going wrong?