mocap suit questions

markdc

mocap suit questions

Post by markdc »

Can you provide a breakdown of physical mesurements each size is for? For example height,weight, etc.

Will the suits shrink when washed?

Do the suits include marker sets?
Jim

Re: mocap suit questions

Post by Jim »

Another good idea. This one is on the list.

In general:

- Suits will not shrink when washed, but do wash in cold water.
- Suits do not come with any markers, just the top / bottom and hat. Marker sets are separate.
- I take a medium suit, about 5'10" and trim build. They do stretch quite a lot, but they should fit tightly. The guy in the picture is wearing a medium suit.
kio

Post by kio »

With normal handling, how long will the retro-reflective coating(?)on the soft markers that are used on the suit last before I would need to get new ones?
Jim

Post by Jim »

Hmm, that might be a bit hard to answer. I think they should last a while, as long as they don't get beat up. If they aren't reflecting well, you can wash them with mild soap and warm water. The main problem is finger grease on the markers. We can "reskin" them if they are damaged, and that costs less than new ones, as they are pretty expensive, being hand made and all.
Flog

Post by Flog »

I found some other alternatives if you'd like

http://www.nextag.com/Unisex-NeoSport-L ... rices-html

It's a little cheaper and the grey can probably be put to black and you can order it in your size and then add the velcro pasties at walmart for 3 bucks a pack and then do the whole ball thing.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Wow, that is a great deal. I think you could sew on some velcro mounts, or just mount the markers directly. Making sure the markers don't move or come off is the key thing. Our suits are all velcro compatible, so you can mount markers anywhere, but you could save some money with one of these options for sure.
bsteagal

Post by bsteagal »

Jim/Flog:

I've used a couple of different materials for my suits, trying to keep costs down to a minimum. I purchased one of those skinsuits which works very well (Use the stick-on velcro first to come to your best configuration before permanently sowing them on) although unless you have a good physique... well... I don't need to go there (I look like a stuffed sausage)

Close fitting cotton clothes work well too (in my case, a long-sleeve muscle shirt and tight cotton pants used for skiing or running) Again, use stick on velcro (found at any hobby store, Walmart, etc) to find perfect placement before sowing on.

Bryan
Bryan Steagall
Owner
Kidz Korner Studio
OptiTrack Distributor
Mexico, Central and South America
505-615-2410
bryan@kkstudio.us
www.kkstudio.us
tvining

Post by tvining »

How many markers do you need for ARENA full body mocap? And will there be instructions for proper placement?

Thanks--Tim
Jim

Post by Jim »

Tim:

For the body, there are 28 markers, and 3 more each for each hand, so 34 total. We do sell a complete marker kit, on the mocap accessories page.

Yes, there is an online tutorial in the Skeleton Wizard in the Arena software. It details exactly where to place markers for the best results. In addition, you have freedom to place markers in an arrangement that works best for the type of capture you want to do, like push-ups vs. standing.