can't get NatNet samples running

thelorax

can't get NatNet samples running

Post by thelorax »

Hi,
I started writing a client for the NatNet streaming feature in Arena. I wasn't able to stream 3d data, but I was able to connect to the server. So I decided to run the 3d sample program. Sometimes it simply doesn't connect, and sometimes the connect dialog just disappears but I don't see any points in the preview window. There are points in arena however. I tried the other client as well and it simply wont connect either. Both the samples and arena are running on the local machine. Arena is 1.3.0035, and the NatNet is the latest as of this date. I'm not sure what other information I should post to try to debug this.
morgan
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Re: can't get NatNet samples running

Post by morgan »

There are a few common reasons clients fail to connect to Arena:

- Streaming from Arena - If using the SampleClient3D , you will need to have a pt2 and a skeleton file loaded. I think the SampleClient app is looking for id'ed markers, so it won't show markers from just pt2. I dont think pt3 files stream markers either.

- IP adressing incorrect - if you are running both on the same machine, the IP adress can use either a designated card's ethernet address or the local loopback (127.0.0.1)

- Another client already using same port on same machine. This may explain why a client does not connect *sometimes*. Make sure no client processes are running before connecting. The next version of NatNet allows for multiple simultaneous clients from the same machine.

Some other thoughts :

- first try the SampleServer to SampleClient apps from the NatNet install - these should always work.

- next try Arena to SampleClient:
[Arena] Start
[Arena] load pt2
[Arena] load skeleton
[Arena] stream
[Client] Start

At this point client should connect o Arena and diaply markerset information.

Morgan

Morgan Jones
Software Engineer
NaturalPoint, Inc.
thelorax

Post by thelorax »

Is there a way to just stream either labeled or unlabeled raw 3d point positions out of arena, without any kind of skeleton or loading data?
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

Points must be part of a rigid body, or skeleton, to be streamed from Arena

http://www.naturalpoint.com/optitrack/p ... rison.html
thelorax

Post by thelorax »

Would it be possible to expose this functionality?
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

It is someything that is being looked into, for Arena. We currently have that capability in the Rigid Body software.
thelorax

Post by thelorax »

What about connecting to the rigid body tool? I checked off "Broadcast frame data", but none of the NatNet samples even connected.

The reason I'm trying to do this is because I'm doing facial animation and I need to be able to control camera illumination, exposure as well as use the Rigid body RB_SetPointCloudTrackingParams function. Since it is not possible to use both the optitrack and rigid body api at the same time that means I need to be able to use arena to control the camera parameters then stream out raw data. If there is a way to get raw data and control these camera parameters it would be just as good as being able to stream out of a NaturalPoint tool.
beckdo

Post by beckdo »

Hey Chris,

The functionality you need in the Rigid Body Tool is coming in the next major version. If you need to be able to adjust camera exposure, etc. We might be able to make that happen sooner but that functionality isn't there currently--and it should be for applications like yours that need to do this.

You should be able to stream from the RB Tool to the NatNet samples though.
nabilgkhoury

Post by nabilgkhoury »

Hello,

We are trying to synchronize mocap and eyetracker data streams and the NatNet SampleClient.exe seems to offer the most functionality for our needs. Unfortunately I too am having trouble getting the Natnet samples to behave properly on my 4-V100 system.

I have updated to the latest natnet and tracking tools sdk and obtained the following results:
1- In the simplest case: SampleServer to SampleClient all seems to work fine: Connection, frame streaming. The datafile is written successfully with all the streamed data: Frame numbers and mocap data.
2- from Arena to SampleClient.exe: frame streaming and file writing work but the frame number is always 0. whether Arena is recording or just broadcasting.
3- from Rigid Objects to SampleClient.exe: it's the opposite: frame numbers are updated properly during recording and writing but the output file contains no mocap data.
4- from TrackingTools2.0 final to SampleClient.exe: streaming shows good capture data with frame number always 0 while the output file contains frame number always 0 and no mocap data at all.

Would you kindly take a look and let me know if I'm doing something wrong or if this is something that is being looked at in the near future.

Thanks in advance.