3D Studio Max plugin now available

Xenobite

Re: 3D Studio Max plugin now available

Post by Xenobite »

I tried it in v9 and 2009 and seems like you always have to play with values for scaling etc to prevent gliding

it would be nice if plugin would automaticaly fix values according to biped skeleton size / streamed data

so far I got best results in xsi just importing bvh file exported from arena
ssshab

Post by ssshab »

Could you please release a Max 2008 version of this plugin, as I am still unable to get it correct in Max 2008. It always glides when using in Max 2008, but works fine in Max 2009.
yoshi

Post by yoshi »

Hello,

Here is a beta version of Max 2008 plugin:
http://media.naturalpoint.com/software/ ... nBeta1.zip

Streaming and recording is working. Please let us know if you have any problems.
ssshab

Post by ssshab »

Thank you very much. I will be trying it out this weekend.
Josiah

Post by Josiah »

I'm so far unable to find a way to bring Rigid Body data into 3D studio max from an Arena skeleton. In Max 2009, the skeleton tracking appears to be working pretty well, but I've yet been unable to load in any data for the rigid body attached to my skeleton in arena.
Knowing that the Max biped structure supports prop-bones by default, I attempted to use those bones in hopes that the rigid body data would stream onto them. This, however, was not the solution.
Can you help me find a way to track my skeleton's rigid body in Max 2009?
aicfuel

Post by aicfuel »

Dave figured out a way to get the rigid body to work. He said that he had to import the rigid body .BVH file into Motion Builder and then export it as .FBX file from there into 3D Studio max. It comes in as a dummy object, and then you link it to the right spot.
Josiah

Post by Josiah »

That is unfortunate. I would prefer to not license another expensive 3D package to use Arena's advertised features with 3D Studio Max.
I called OptiTrack's tech support, and the gentleman on the other end said, "That's strange, it should be supported."
I then asked if there was a way for me to access the raw point data so that I can attach it to a bone myself, and he responded that the functionality for that has been deliberately disabled so that people can't use point data for things that would normally require another OptiTrack license.
Well, I have the licenses required to access these features, they just aren't supported properly with my 3D package. Something is wrong with that.

The 3D Studio Max Biped allows prop bones to be part of the structure and can attach "Xtra" bones with ease. This functionality should be supported by the Arena plugin.
Dejan

Post by Dejan »

What about 64 bit version of plugin for 3DS Max 9?
Jim

Post by Jim »

Hello:

Arena has added features at a pretty regular clip since it was released. We have added lots of plug-ins and support for features requested by users. It is not unusual that when we add a new plug-in, we don't have all the functionality that users request. So, feel free to just post and ask us for what you need and we will put it on the development list, or at least try to let you know what the priority level is.

For the comment from tech support, we do now support the exporting of unlabled markers after trajectorization, the now survive, but this is only for C3D, not for streaming. By being deliberatly disabled, tech support means that we can cross into making a pseudo version of our Expression facial mocap system by tracking and streaming points that are not part of a rigid body, but that is not a huge concern, and I am not sure it was represented to you correctly for the feature that you want.

So, as the Max plug-in is pretty new for us, we are happy to hear that we need to add the extra rigid body as bone support in. If it makes you like and use Arena more, we are fully for it.

We have added the task to our list and will try to have support in our next release, 1.5, due in the near future.

For the 64 bit version, I will have to check around on that.

Jim
yoshi

Post by yoshi »

Hello,

Here is updated max plugins with rigid body support:

http://media.naturalpoint.com/ftp/npupl ... v2Beta.zip
http://media.naturalpoint.com/ftp/npupl ... uginRB.wmv

Most of primitive type objects as well as bones should work as streaming target.