What are the effects of the new cameras?

The_Nomad

What are the effects of the new cameras?

Post by The_Nomad »

So I'm very excited by the new cameras - the capture space possible with OptiTrack has been one of the reasons I haven't bought a system yet, and it sounds like they improve that.

But I can't find any hard details anywhere, so I thought I'd ask:

1) Previously, the maximum capture space has been quoted as between 10' and 12' square. Do the new cameras, and particularly the high-power strobe option, increase this, and if so, what to?

2) Previously, to get the 10-12' capture space mentioned, I've been told the system needs to be set up in a 20' square room. Is that space requirement reduced by the new cameras and specifically the wider lenses?

Really interested to hear more here - sounds like Arena and Optitrack might just have pushed their capabilities over the top.
Seth Steiling

Re: What are the effects of the new cameras?

Post by Seth Steiling »

If you haven't read our most recent newsletter newsletter, please check it out. It gives a brief introduction to the R2 and addresses this subject a bit. We're planning on adding new information to the website as well. Specific to your questions:

1) When used in conjunction with the OptiHub, using the R2 in High Power Strobe mode will extend its tracking range. The OptiHub also has on-board voltage regulation, which offers more consistent power to each camera. This will improve tracking reliability as well. As far as the actual amount that high-power mode extends tracking--I don't recall the figure off the top of my head, but I'll ask our dev team to elaborate on this.

2) The 3.5mm lens will allow you to optimize (increase) your capture volume within smaller camera setups (in other words, a smaller physical setup--not less cameras).
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
The_Nomad

Post by The_Nomad »

Great, thanks. Specific numbers would certainly be very useful, for both points - I'll look forward to hearing more!
Seth Steiling

Post by Seth Steiling »

1) Extra range will vary based on marker size and exposure, but you can probably expect around 1 meter in additional distance.

2) With the 3.5mm lenses, you can now create a 10' capture volume in a 16' square room. You will need a minimum of 12 cameras, though, to have good coverage in this kind of setup.
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
russfrancis

Post by russfrancis »

I read that you can replace the lenses in the current V100 cameras with other lenses like the 3.5 lenses. Is that a difficult processes and do you sell the lenses that would work best with the V100 cameras? I just barely received your system at the end of June and it came with the V100 cameras so I obviously don't want to move up to the R2s just yet. I will just buy R2s as I expand my system, but I would like to maximize my space as well.

FYI I am currently setup in a 20x20 room and am averaging about 11 almost 12 ft square with excellent results.
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

Unfortunately we no longer have the older style M12 lens, and the newer lens are designed to be used with the R2 cameras only.
jsonedecker

Post by jsonedecker »

Is it the new hubs that give the roughly extra meter of volume or a combination of the hubs and new cameras? Just wondering of buying the hubs to use with my current 12 camera V100 setup will give me better results.

-John
russfrancis

Post by russfrancis »

Thanks for the reply. So another question then. I am looking to eventually get my system up to 24 cameras. Will I be able to utilize the new R2 cameras with the 3.5 lenses for the R2 and hubs to expand my space and use the current V100 cameras to just fill out the shorter distances or will the v100s limit my overall space even if I add 12 R2 cameras?
Seth Steiling

Post by Seth Steiling »

[quote=jsonedecker]Is it the new hubs that give the roughly extra meter of volume or a combination of the hubs and new cameras? Just wondering of buying the hubs to use with my current 12 camera V100 setup will give me better results.

-John[/quote]
The extra distance is achieved with the combination of the new hubs and R2 cameras. The hubs support a High Power Strobe mode, which is responsible for the bulk of the enhanced tracking distance. Only the R2 cameras support that mode. Other factors that improve tracking distance are the new lenses (R2 only, not OptiHub dependent) and improved power regulation (R1 and R2, OptiHub dependent). So, you will still benefit by upgrading to the OptiHub in an R1 system, but the full benefits are only accessible with R2 cameras and OptiHubs.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that, even if you keep your current R1 cameras, simply upgrading to our new cables and new OptiHubs will give you a noticeable boost in tracking consistency and overall fidelity. The quality of the various components in these accessories alone is significantly improved.

-Seth
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
Seth Steiling

Post by Seth Steiling »

[quote=RussFrancis]Thanks for the reply. So another question then. I am looking to eventually get my system up to 24 cameras. Will I be able to utilize the new R2 cameras with the 3.5 lenses for the R2 and hubs to expand my space and use the current V100 cameras to just fill out the shorter distances or will the v100s limit my overall space even if I add 12 R2 cameras?[/quote]
You will be able to utilize the strengths of the R2 cameras/new lenses/OptiHub in a mixed-camera environment. You'll need to position the R1 cameras optimally compared to the R2 (covering the shorter distances, limiting the corner cameras to R2 only), but you'll definitely be able to achieve improved tracking quality and range. Also bear in mind that the R1 and R2 cameras have significantly different camera settings. ARENA should manage this for you, but it's something to keep in mind.
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack