FIGHT!

The_Nomad

FIGHT!

Post by The_Nomad »

OK, we're getting on well enough with our Arena system that it's time to think about the hard bits of what we want to do with it. Namely, fighting.

How would you guys advise/recommend capturing two-person weapon fighting using Arena? We're probably going to be using longswords (what many people would call "bastard swords" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longsword ) as well as one knife fight.

Notably, what's the best way to capture the weapon movement? I'm wondering about just using the right hand marker on the weapon. Has anyone tried anything like this, and if so, did it work?
VincentG

Re: FIGHT!

Post by VincentG »

Well, each weapon would need to have a unique asymetrical configuration of markers.

When they did some intial testing with swords, I believe they had upwards of 5+ markers, including several along the blade
The_Nomad

Post by The_Nomad »

Hmm, interesting.

I may be being dense here, so feel free to tell me to RTFM, but I'm not entirely clear on how you'd get the Arena software to add new objects - like a sword - to the basic skeleton?
yoshi

Post by yoshi »

We have done 2 person capture with swords in past tradeshow:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ie_5NrXS7CM

We attached 4 markers in non collinear, asymmetrical pattern on swords.
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

You would need to use the Rigid Body wizard, within the software to create an external object.
The_Nomad

Post by The_Nomad »

Right - guess we need to buy some new markers, then :) (I'm correct in thinking that the packs of markers that you sell only have enough for a standard body capture, right?)

I wonder - is there a way to create or buy a more durable marker? I'm noticing our markers are already losing their surface a little bit in a couple of places, and if they're on swords I'd expect some high-impact collisions...

Finally - What do you mean by non-collinear? Sorry, probably being ignorant there...
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

The marker sets? correct

Try to create a marker set/shape, where the sides (lines between the points) are not parallel
The_Nomad

Post by The_Nomad »

That worked pretty darn well - thanks!

Next step is to create some custom sword shapes that are wider, in order to allow us to put the markers further apart.

Am I correct in thinking that having a few more points (say 5-6 - we were using 4) on the sword will make it easier for Arena to track it and reduce occlusion problems?
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

Correct.