3 marker wand specs and new camera configurations

russfrancis

3 marker wand specs and new camera configurations

Post by russfrancis »

Support, could you please provide me with the specs of the distances between markers for the new 3 marker calibration wand and the preferred marker diameter? I want to order one of your wands for my studio but in the meantime want to start playing with the new calibration technique and have markers and tools that I could use to build a makeshift one for the time being.

Also you mentioned that there are more camera configuration possibilities with the new build but I can't seem to find anywhere that shows what the new configuration options are. Could you send me a link to what possibilities I have for a 12 camera system?

Thanks! I am very excited to try out this new update!

-Russ
Seth Steiling

Re: 3 marker wand specs and new camera configurations

Post by Seth Steiling »

The end markers are 400mm apart, with an additional middle marker [s]120mm[/s] 140mm in from one end. These settings are adjustable in the calibration properties section.
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
simonal

Post by simonal »

Are you sure it is 120mm from the end? In Tracking Tools the default settings say 140mm.
Seth Steiling

Post by Seth Steiling »

Oops, looks like I misspoke. (Errr... mistyped...) Simonal is correct, the distance is actually 140mm. Though, you can still change this setting in the software, in case you need to salvage your homemade wand.
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
beckdo

Post by beckdo »

Hey guys, a couple comments on the wand if you're planning to make your own. Do your best to make the wand as straight as possible. Ideally you will stand the markers off a bit so that the apparatus will interfere as little as possible. And use the 7/16" markers or smaller on your wand.
russfrancis

Post by russfrancis »

Thanks for all of the help. After building one with success, I am going to also buy one since the one NaturalPoint is selling looks to be of great quality.

I had question for expression though. I know that in the old calibration it was best to use a smaller marker for calibration. With the new 3 marker method, what is the best way to setup the 3 markers? The body cap wand seems way too large to handle expression. What is the best way to calibrate with the 3 marker setup in expression and what size and distance of markers do you recommend?

Thanks again!

Russ
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

The setup should be approx. the same, and the 3 marker wand works fine for smaller setups as well
SunGS

Post by SunGS »

I had terrible calibration results in my 17*13 space with the optiwand (already went through tech support). I get much better results with the 1 point wand calibration thus I've reverted back to the good old system.

Would love to hear if others have had good results in small spaces with optiwand as it could be just my environment.
beckdo

Post by beckdo »

Hi SunGS,

Are you using the latest beta release of Arena (beta 2)?

Also, what cameras and lenses are you using?
(V100 or V100:R2? narrow FOV, standard FOV or wide FOV?)
padawan

Post by padawan »

Hi,

Like SunGS have terrible calibration results with the new optiwand.
Some of the cameras didn't show any results.
With the same setup i have 'excellent' with the 1 point wand.

I think it will be quiet nice to have quickly some new video tutorial to get this thing work.
I will send an email to the support with some capture screen and files.
Hope i will get some good advice.

Also i've some strange interference with the 2d markes with the 1.6.1. Some point appears around me when I move. But there was no light there.

I use V100 camera.

Thank you