Wide-angle lense

Anakele

Wide-angle lense

Post by Anakele »

Hello Optitrack Community,
Has anyone had any luck using the wide angle lense with the R1 camera? Even if I can get an extra foot all the way around that would be great. Thanks in advance.
Best Regards,
Andre O'Brien
Seth Steiling

Re: Wide-angle lense

Post by Seth Steiling »

Hi Andre,

The new lenses have considerably more glass than the standard R1 lenses--so much so that they will actually block a portion of the IR ring if installed on 1st gen V100 cameras. Because of this, we do not recommend using the new OptiTrack lenses with R1 cameras.

-Seth
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
Anakele

Post by Anakele »

Thanks Seth...I guess I need to either get a larger area to work in or...well I just need a larger area to work in.
Best Regards,
Andre O'Brien
JustinDenton

Post by JustinDenton »

Hi Andre,

I have also had to deal with creating a volume in a relatively small space, 10x16x8ft and have the R1 cameras with the standard lenses.

We have played around with lots of different configurations, and I've done a few unusual things to help make up for the limits in the FOV.

1) Depending on how many cameras you have available to you, adding additional high cameras (6ft plus), but making sure they are setup in portrait mode instead of landscape can help get you some additional top to bottom space. I ended up alternating each high camera from portrait to landscape, and got almost 2 feet of additional space horizontally, and a foot of additional headroom.

2) The smaller the horizontal volume I have the higher I place my low cameras, and I have all of these cameras setup in portrait mode.

3) While each camera does need to be pointing at the center of the volume, you can cheat them a bit so that a collection of cameras is pointing a bit more at one half of the volume a bit more than the other. This little trick helped us even out an unusually shaped volume.

4) Lots of trial and error. Just spend a day or two trying configurations you don't think will work. You might be surprised by what does and it will strengthen your overall setup skills for the future too.

At the end of the day each and every space is unique, so its hard to tell you exactly what to do, but hopefully these tips will help.

Cheers,

Justin
Anakele

Post by Anakele »

Hey Justin,
Thank you for your response. I've gotten pretty frustrated mixing and matching the cameras position and orientation. I will absolutely try to "cheat" a little by off-setting the cameras in pairs (3 and 3). I'm not sure that will work with Arena 1.4 Final but I will give it a try. I have 6 cameras right now. I have no doubt that 8 would make things perfect for me. From your 10x16x8ft space what is the size of your capture volume?
Thanks for the tips mano...its been so hot in my garage its made for a difficult time setting things up...but I will try try again. Take care.
Best Regards,
Andre O'Brien
Anakele Vision and Design
JustinDenton

Post by JustinDenton »

Hi Andre,

Forgot to mention to you that I have 12 cameras in this volume, so even though its small, I can get away with lots of the cheats I mentioned earlier.

We do more camera capture (Rigid Body) than we do actor capture so I have two areas taped off in two different colors.

For the Actor capture I end up with about 7x8x6.5ft. Pretty small, but if you get creative with mixing your takes in MotionBuilder you can still do a lot with it, as long as you aren't over about 6 feet tall. Otherwise you start jumping around and the actor's neck solve gets super screwed up.

The rigid body volume is quite a bit larger. In arena 1.6 I am getting around 9x12x6.5 and in tracking tools I get all the way up to 9.5 x 14 x 6.5. This may not help you if you are only doing actor capture, but if you are ever doing rigid body only captures, you will be amazed at how much area you can use in your volume!

How in the hell do you run your computer in that heat? I'd have to water proof my computer and put it in an ice chest with some cold brews!

Cheers,

Justin
Anakele

Post by Anakele »

Hey Justin,
If I had 12 cams I'd have no problems. I don't think 6 will cut the mustard in this volume. I don't know when I'll be able to get more. I'm used to a 10x10x9 capture area with my old motionstar (that I sold!!!). I thought that felt small. I didn't research enough about optical systems before I took the plunge. The data is much cleaner but the area is so much smaller to work in. You manage to squeeze a lot of volume out of that small area. As I figured, I just need more cameras. Thank goodness they aren't that expensive. Thanks again for all of your help.
Best Regards,
Andre O'Brien
Anakele Vision and Design