face robot name template?

rock soderstrom

Re: face robot name template?

Post by rock soderstrom »

Hi,

yes we have tested quickly your data on our own solved but non-optimized facerobot model. The overall quality of the data is pretty good and stable!

I don�t know the reason for your problem, we will do a test tomorrow, with your model.

Anyway, after you have solved that problem you will enter the next stage, which I call the "Uncanny Interpretation". ;)

Because of the mismatch concerning the proportions of your actor and the target model, you will have to do (more or less) a fine tuning pass, where you will interpret the mocap data from the point of view of your model.

I think that the position and the movement-level of the markers should be adjusted to the model. A retargeting of the data, similar to a full body mocap production, but way more demanding.

Even after that, the lips, teeth and tongue will need some extra data love, not to mention the eyes! This time on the model side...

I don�t want to paint a wrong picture, we are at the same level, still searching the best pipeline inside facerobot and in 3ds max.

Thanks for your Project Palitoy videos, they were a good reference in the past!

regards
ProjectPalitoy

Post by ProjectPalitoy »

Your welcome...

Yes, I am not too worried about the dimensions issue... Hoping that FR will really assist in the retargetting and of course dialing in all the settings is part of the fun.... but I cant get to that part until the biggest issue is solved... the way it exports into XSI....

Glad you like the videos.... Its obviously a pipeline in development. But I am determined to oodle everything I can out of the system.... I could just take the data I have, apply to a mesh in Maya using muscles envelopes, and then influence the strength of the constraints, to compensate for size etc etc

But thats not the point of this exercise...

Looking forward to seeing how you get on with the c3d in XSI

Craig
ProjectPalitoy

Post by ProjectPalitoy »

Did anyone get a chance to further test that c3d?

CC
rock soderstrom

Hi Craig,

here are the results of our test:

- your head is slightly broken, see the jpeg. But even with that head, with our fixed name template your "head explosion" problem should be solved

- yes, we have the the same problem with the rotation interpretation of XSI. We have tested with your and our head, when the head rotation in XSI is activated, the problem is here, without head rotation, there is no problem. It seems to be an XSI issue...check it without headrotation and your data will be good.

download data
ProjectPalitoy

Post by ProjectPalitoy »

Firstly, thanks for looking....

Did you see this from earlier in the week before Sundays re-shoot?

http://vimeo.com/14209165

Its almost the same name template, so I am curious as to what changes you made to prevent the tearing in the mouth....

Weird, especially as the naming convention came from XSI's own diagram....

Very odd indeed.

Anyway, looks like I have to reset the face again, but that's no biggie... Then I can really have a decent play. I wonder what though was so bad about the suggested facename map? Makes me feel a little stoopid. Ha!

I guess until a fix is out to compensate for the head rotation, Im going to have to forego head animation and do that when I do the body shoot.... Again, no big deal, but its a workflow hole I would like to see filled and fixed.

Again, many thanks....

CC
ProjectPalitoy

Post by ProjectPalitoy »

Just a quickie.... what did you change on the name map?

Ta
yoshi

Post by yoshi »

Hi Craig,

The c3d facing toward positive x axis should be ok. Even the FaceRobot's ROM c3d faces that way. I created name/face maps from your c3d file and was able to apply it to Rock, as long as head rotation is disabled. Once the head rotation is enabled, the head faces upward as you can see in this video: http://media.naturalpoint.com/ftp/npupl ... FRTest.wmv

This looks like FaceRobot's map creation script bug, as it also occurs when maps are created from FaceRobot's ROM c3d file. The maps files are text file so I compared the ones that came with FaceRobot with the one that was generated from ROM c3d file, but have not been able to pinpoint the cause yet.
ProjectPalitoy

Post by ProjectPalitoy »

Yep, thats the critter, and the annoying thing is, you cant just undo that head rotation by un-checking the head rotate box....

I looked at Rock Soderstroms new name map file and could t really see where he had made the relevant changes, so waiting to hear back from him....
rock soderstrom

Hi Craig,

we have just used your marker layout for a new name template. I can�t say what we have done different...sorry!

I have checked your new video on Vimeo, I like it so far! It is really strange that this head doesn�t work with your own data!

I hope you can sort out this problem in your pipeline!

@Yoshi

Thanks for your test with FaceRobot! Years ago, there was a FaceRobot plugin, is this plugin still available?

regards
ProjectPalitoy

Post by ProjectPalitoy »

ok, well I think what I will do then is start from scratch...

with my existing template. I think being new to XSI isnt helping. I wish there was some Facerobot / maya integration on the horizon....

;)