Head rotation is not streaming to motionbuilder plugin

onar3d

Head rotation is not streaming to motionbuilder plugin

Post by onar3d »

Hi!

I am running Arena Expression version 1.6.3000, streaming the example animation from the latest goodypack to Motionbuilder 2010 or 2011, each running the optitrack plugin version 2.3.

The facial markers move properly, but no head rotation data is transmitted, as it is in the example video. Instead the facial animation appears in motionbuilder always staring straight in one direction.

As per the tutorial video, the "Right hand coord.", "3D marker position", "Local marker position" and "Rigid body data" checkboxes are enabled in the Arena stream settings.

What do I need to do to also get correct head rotation data transmitted?

Or was the rotation purposefully removed from the new version of the streaming plugin?

Thank you!
DonBurroni

Re: Head rotation is not streaming to motionbuilder plugin

Post by DonBurroni »

I put an actor in the scene, use the top 4 markers for the head rotations, then I put the root node on the hips and chest.,

All the best
Burroni
onar3d

Post by onar3d »

Hi, thank you for the quick reply!

The problem is that the top four markers do not move, i.e. the rotation information is removed somewhere in the streaming from Arena to MB.

So, assuming I understood your advice correctly, the problem I have is not how to use the data, but that the data isn't there to begin with!

Best regards,
Ilias B.
rock soderstrom

Post by rock soderstrom »

Hi Ilias, I am not sure, but I think we had the same problem.

Please check "Skeleton as rigid bodies" in the stream settings.
I think from the top you have to select the first five or six check-boxes in the stream settings.

I can�t really verify this because I am not in the front of Arena Expression, but play with those check-boxes and probably you will have success.

regards
onar3d

Post by onar3d »

Rock,

Thank you, indeed, checking the whole row of the first six checkboxes did it!

That should teach me to go back to learning 3d graphics the way I started, just click everywhere and see what it does :)

Thanks again!
rock soderstrom

Post by rock soderstrom »

[quote=onar3d]Rock,

That should teach me to go back to learning 3d graphics the way I started, just click everywhere and see what it does :)

Thanks again! [/quote]

Thats the real pro approach :grin:

A decent documentation for all that check-boxes and features in Arena and Arena Expression would be a great time saver!
onar3d

Post by onar3d »

Rock, hi, from our conversation in this thread it appears that you may have also come across this new issue I have.

It's been mentioned in another thread already:(http://forum.naturalpoint.com/forum/ubb ... #Post43216)

But since there are no useful replies there, and you clearly have the experience, I thought I would post here as well just in case. My apologies for the cross-posting forum spam if you�ve already seen the above post!

In brief, the issue is that, with all the settings we discussed in the streaming plugin, and the recording check box enabled, when I record into motion builder, only the movements of the face markers is captured. The optical root marker moves correctly like the head during streaming, but when I play back the recorded data it is all of a sudden static!

Have you managed to capture head movement along with facial animation, or do you get the same behavior as above?

Thank you!

Regards,
Ilias B.