Lessons learnt from today....

ProjectPalitoy

Lessons learnt from today....

Post by ProjectPalitoy »

I'll post vids later. But I had an awfull time today with a friend sat in the volume. Calibration went well, floor markers went well.... but templating was a *itch!

Could not find the cause. Basically every marker had its own echo marker. For 4 hours I was pulling my hair out as my friend / artist patiently waited.

Then I found the cause. In the point cloud tab, the residual (mm) setting had somehow moved to 16...

16!!!

1.6 cm is quite alot..

I can only assume that some default setting came back into force, but with no documentation to speak off, this was only found by trial and error. I knocked it back to 4, and all was well.....

No one changed this setting. But ever since expression updated its self to one of the later versions, I have had nothing but problems, and I can only assume that this shift in the point cloud settings was instigated by an update, bringing instability to an otherwise rock solid setup

So, if youhave any issues yourself, please check your residual settings. Residual residual residual!

Videos from shoot to follow

CC
Seth Steiling

Re: Lessons learnt from today....

Post by Seth Steiling »

Thanks for the feedback, Craig. I've notified the dev team that settings might be getting reset to default with the new build. 16 is pretty dang high for the residual in a face volume! Glad you got it sorted eventually. Sorry for the inconvenience!
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
ProjectPalitoy

Post by ProjectPalitoy »

Thanks Seth.

yes, fortunately it was just a day spent with a friend, but this was the 2nd session we scheduled, as the first session was really troublesome due to this unknown quirk...

Now we know the cause, its the first setting I will check post calibration... by default.
ProjectPalitoy

Post by ProjectPalitoy »

farstar

Post by farstar »

ProjectPalitoy,
Thank you for the heads up on this. Also great video on your capture session. Your friend did a great job. Any chance of seeing this applied to your CG character anytime soon?
davidtheory

Post by davidtheory »

Hey ProjectPalitoy, I've noticed in your video that you are using a twelve camera setup for facial motion capture, can you share this setup and your experience with it? how far are the improvements with respect to a six camera setup? thanks.
ProjectPalitoy

Post by ProjectPalitoy »

far star...

All in good time.. It was an exercise in order to get him used to the workflow and tech before we do some proper stuff...

DavidTheory...

I have not used 6 camera's before. I always use the 12. And besides the earlier mentioned issue with the update nuking my earlier better settings, I have always had rock solid data each and every time. Coverage is king in these matters and if you can afford an extra 6 camera's, you wont regret that investment at all.

Set up wise, its set up just shy of a semi circle, so thats cams 1&2 dont see 11 & 12 and vice versa. hi lo pairs, with a monitor mounted on a stand in front of the actor for visual feedback. I'll do a full video of the set up next weekend for sure.
davidtheory

Post by davidtheory »

I'm looking forward to see this video for the 12 cameras setup for Facial mocap. Actually in our lab we have 12 cameras for full body mocap and another 6 for facial mocap, but I don't wanted to dismount the setup that we have for body motion capture.
Thanks!