Swordplay

Punchey

Swordplay

Post by Punchey »

I'm just starting out with Arena and am about to do some mocap for swordplay. Can someone point me to the exact recommended marker accessories in the store that would be best for attaching to a sword prop? I'm not really clear on the various kinds available and what their various advantages/uses are.

Also, how many of each is recommended per prop?

Thanks!
Seth Steiling

Re: Swordplay

Post by Seth Steiling »

For an easy, removable option, you could go with a combination of 7/16" Hard Markers + 1" Hard Bases. The markers snap onto the bases, which can be easily glued onto props.

The minimum marker count is 3 per object, but I recommend 4 for a small prop and up to 6 or so for a large one. The extra markers provide some redundancy, in case ARENA loses tracking of one of the markers.
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
Punchey

Post by Punchey »

Thanks very much! Since these props may be moving fast, will the size of the marker make a big difference? I mean, if the cameras will be placed at their maximum distance, and the sword are swung very quickly, would the 7/16" work just as well as the 5/8" or 3/4"?
Seth Steiling

Post by Seth Steiling »

The size of the marker shouldn't have a significant impact on tracking, when taking the speed of the object into account. If anything, a smaller marker will potentially be better at higher speeds. But it should be a trivial difference, either way.
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
kitesflyer

Post by kitesflyer »

I want to do the same thing in Arena that is a sword fight mocap. but don't know how to,is there any manual or tutorial on capturing prop motion in Arena?
Can anybody please help me doing it?
Seth Steiling

Post by Seth Steiling »

Hi Kitesflyer,

You can watch the Rigid Body Wizard under "Defining Skeletons and Rigid Bodies" here:

http://www.naturalpoint.com/optitrack/p ... rials.html
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack