Capture volume matrix

Cameron

Capture volume matrix

Post by Cameron »

Hello,

I am trying to come up with a reasonable matrix to outline to our customers what size camera package can *approximately* fit certain room sizes (Tracking Tools packages). I have worked with 6-camera setups but not the larger ones, but I tend to agree with the rule of thumb I have seen posted here before that you tend to get tracking space approximately half of the setup perimeter space. Do these measurements make sense or does anyone have better estimates?

Number of cameras | Setup volume (room size) | Workspace volume (experiment)
6 | 4m x 4m x 3m | 1.5m x 1.5m x 1m
12 | 5m x 5m x 3m | 2.5m x 2.5m x 1.5m
18 | 5m x 5m x 5m | 2.5m x 2.5m x 2.5m
24 | 6m x 6m x 6m | 3m x 3m x 3m
NaturalPoint - Mike

Re: Capture volume matrix

Post by NaturalPoint - Mike »

The big question is: What cameras are you using? This makes all the difference in the world. The "half the setup perimeter" rule isn't too good to go on for any larger usb or any ethernet systems.
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

Oops, I forgot to mention that I am using Flex V100:R2 cameras with Tracking Tools. I would like to provide guidelines for using these systems with our unmanned vehicles for research.

As a secondary question, should I be using a specific lens type to maximize the volume of my workspace (i.e., larger fov)?
NaturalPoint - Mike

Post by NaturalPoint - Mike »

With 16 to 24 cameras, you can set them up in a 7x7 (depending on cabling) square and achieve up to a 4x4, give or take, volume. 12-16 would likely have to be in a 6x6 setup to get a 3x3 to 3.5x3.5.

I don't think you could get them set up in a large enough array to go over 3ft in height without some significant adjustments to the system due to cable length restrictions. For volumes more than 3m high, consider ethernet cameras.