Tracking Tools sends NatNet data very slow

dehucoh

Tracking Tools sends NatNet data very slow

Post by dehucoh »

Hi,

I'm using 4 V100:R2 with Tracking Tools 2.5.0 x86 for head tracking in CAD wall VR system. I'm using NatNet data streaming and today I found that my client application, that uses NatNet Lib from NatNet SDK 2.2 (the latest for today), receives data just about 12 times per second. Also I found that every time the data is received, the client receives 8 mocap frames (camera FPS set to 100 in Tracking Tools) simultaneously. Changing camera FPS to 50 or 25 leads to 4 or 2 mocap frames the client receives simultaneously. On the Frame Info pane in Tracking Tools I found that the parameter "Display FPS" equals the frequency the client receives the data, e. g. about 12 FPS. So my question is how can I increase the ratio of data updates more than 12 FPS? In my application the value of 12 data frames (each containing 2, 4 or 8 mocap frames) per second is very poor.

Also setting up Tracking Tools 2.5.0 x64 leads to large memory leaks at the startup of application then it eats all the system memory, computer begins to work very very slow making it impossible to use TT.

Thanks in advance.
NaturalPoint - Mike

Re: Tracking Tools sends NatNet data very slow

Post by NaturalPoint - Mike »

I don't think I've ever heard of this kind of issue before. Let's take a look a a few things:

Does the issue follow the software if you move it to a different machine? This will rule out potential software/hardware conflicts.
Do you have a 64 bit operating system available? Do you see the same issue streaming from the 64 bit version?
dehucoh

Post by dehucoh »

I'm using Windows 7 x64 Professional SP1. The configuration of the computer is: Intel Core i5-2310 2.9 GHz, 4 Gb RAM, ATI RADEON HD 5670 512 Mb. After I'd deployed Tracking Tools on the visualization machine with configuration Intel Core i7-3820 3.6GHz, 8Gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro 4000, 2Gb, FPS have grown to 25-35 but no more. In this case my visualization software was also run, rendering 3d models with resolution 3840x1200, with no effect on Tracking Tools FPS. Moreover installing the second NVIDIA Quadro 4000 leads to FPS fall to 18-25. Looks like I should use better hardware configuration for tracking than the first one, but it looks strange that Tracking Tools with just 4 V100:R2 cameras needs such hardware resources.
NaturalPoint - Mike

Post by NaturalPoint - Mike »

What other software is running on that machine? Tracking Tools shouldn't have need for that level of hardware on a 4 V100R2 machine. It sounds like, on the surface, something else may be in play here.

How many markers are you capturing? What are the latency and frame rate numbers displaying at the bottom of Tracking Tools in the status bar?
dehucoh

Post by dehucoh »

No special software was running, just Windows standard applications and AVG antivirus. 4 markers for head trackable and 3 markers for game controller trackable, thus in total 7 markers and 2 trackables.

Well, lots of experiments with different hardware configurations show that the ratio of data sending frequency depends on display FPS. Turning perspective view in Tracking Tools to another view, like cameras view, leads to display FPS increase to 65 thus increasing the rate of data sending frequency by NatNet. So the first hardware configuration I described is really enough to get 65 FPS. It is obtained just by switching perspective view to another, not 3D view in TT.

The solution was really simple))

Also I found that the bug in TT 2.5.0 x64 I described in the first post was fixed and I'm glad to use TT x64.