Failure Starting up...

DirkR

Failure Starting up...

Post by DirkR »

Hi Everybody,

we just got our shiny new OptiTrack system set up yesterday, but we can't get the RigidBody toolkit to work. When we start it up it just hangs indefinitely in the Initializing Cameras phase. The SDK example finds all three cameras and they all seem to send good data.

Would could be the cause of this?

Any hints welcome

Dirk
VincentG

Re: Failure Starting up...

Post by VincentG »

What versions of the SDK, and rigid body software do you have installed?

Are you connected directly to the PC, or are you using a hub?

Does the software start with the units upplugged from the system?

Any other USB devices attached tothe system?

What type of system are you using?
DirkR

Post by DirkR »

Hi Vincent,

[quote=NaturalPoint - Vincent]What versions of the SDK, and rigid body software do you have installed?[/quote]

Not sure how to find that out without being able to run it. ;) We downloaded them yesterday from the website, whatever the latest version there is.

[quote=NaturalPoint - Vincent]Are you connected directly to the PC, or are you using a hub?[/quote]

We tried both, no difference.

[quote=NaturalPoint - Vincent]Does the software start with the units upplugged from the system?[/quote]

No. I just tried it, and it doesn't even get to the Initializing Part, it just hangs. Same for the Point Cloud Calibration tool, they both just hang, they don't even open the application window.

Killing the process and then running the SDK example still works just fine.

[quote=NaturalPoint - Vincent]Any other USB devices attached to the system?[/quote]

Just keyboard and mouse.

[quote=NaturalPoint - Vincent]What type of system are you using? [/quote]

It's a Dell XPS 720 with an Intel Q6600 and 3GB of RAM running Windows XP Media Center Edition 2002 SP 2 (that's what it came with).

Just for the heck of it we tried installing it on my laptop, and that worked just fine, so it's something about this system that is wrong. I just have no clue what it might be, especially since the SDK example finds all the cameras just fine.

Thanks

Dirk
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

What applications do you have running in the background?

And, just to check, the system isn't running 64 bit XP is it?

Also, if the cameras are plugged into a hub, make sure that it has an additional power source plugged into the mains. Often times the cameras have trouble starting up if they are power-starved. This type of issue will usually only manifest if multiple cameras are running at the same time, since there is enough bus power to run a single camera without issues.
DirkR

Post by DirkR »

[quote=NaturalPoint - Vincent]What applications do you have running in the background?[/quote]

Nothing special that I can think of. It was a freashly rebooted system, not running anything else.

[quote=NaturalPoint - Vincent]And, just to check, the system isn't running 64 bit XP is it?[/quote]

No, we're not that crazy. ;)

[quote=NaturalPoint - Vincent]Also, if the cameras are plugged into a hub, make sure that it has an additional power source plugged into the mains. Often times the cameras have trouble starting up if they are power-starved. This type of issue will usually only manifest if multiple cameras are running at the same time, since there is enough bus power to run a single camera without issues. [/quote]

We do have that. It's the hub that came with it, and it is plugged in. And I've had all three cameras running in the SDK example, and they all work fine. That's the confusing part, it's only the real apps that make trouble.

Thanks

Dirk
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

Can you send me a copy of your installlog.txt file?

C:\Program Files\Naturalpoint\Optitrack
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

can you send me a copy of the log file, in the naturalpoint root folder as well?

C:\Program Files\Naturalpoint

Do you have the latest Microsoft .net files installed?
mores_p

Post by mores_p »

Hello Vincent,

I am DirkR's student and i will take over a discussion from him from now on.

Attached are the log files you asked for. (Please see the end of the post) However, i want to briefly state my experience so far.

We use the lastest OptiTrack SDK and Tracking Toolkits. The OptiTrack SDK samples ran successfully on our 3-camera system. However, the point cloud calibration tool didn't start up the first time we ran. (Upon checking task manager, there was a process called "OptiCalibration.exe", but nothing actually happended) The second time we ran, a window (program) popped up with "Initializing Cameras..." bar keeped running indefinitely.

We are using .Net framework 3.5 right now.

Mark
================================================================
C:\Program Files\NaturalPoint\Optitrack\installlog.txt

5-21-2008
Install Log Entry Begin (Installation):
OS = Win 2K/XP
Component USB from 0 to 1
Component API from 0 to 1
Component DOCS from 0 to 1
Component SAMPLES from 0 to 1
Scanning for old INF files
Clean USB Drivers for 2K/XP : VID_131D&PID_0125
Clean USB Drivers for 2K/XP : VID_131D&PID_0126
Clean USB Drivers for 2K/XP : VID_131D&PID_0127
Install USB Drivers for 2K/XP : VID_131D&PID_0125
ReInstallUSBDevices Failed to load setuphlp.DLL :
Install USB Drivers for WinNTx32 : VID_131D&PID_0125
RegisterDriverINF UpdateDriver4PnP Failed! :
USB\VID_131D&PID_0125 AND C:\Program Files\NaturalPoint\Optitrack\Drivers\npusbio.inf
Error = 183
SetupCopyOEMInfA Called
Install USB Drivers for 2K/XP : VID_131D&PID_0126
Install USB Drivers for WinNTx32 : VID_131D&PID_0126
USB\VID_131D&PID_0126 AND C:\Program Files\NaturalPoint\Optitrack\Drivers\npusbio.inf
Error = 183
SetupCopyOEMInfA Called
Install USB Drivers for 2K/XP : VID_131D&PID_0127
Install USB Drivers for WinNTx32 : VID_131D&PID_0127
USB\VID_131D&PID_0127 AND C:\Program Files\NaturalPoint\Optitrack\Drivers\npusbio.inf
Error = 183
SetupCopyOEMInfA Called
Register files with system : Succeeded
Create license path registry key : succeeded
Setting environment variable : NPOPTI_INCLUDE = C:\Program Files\NaturalPoint\Optitrack\inc
Successfully Set Environment Variable
Setting environment variable : NPOPTI_LIB = C:\Program Files\NaturalPoint\Optitrack\lib\i386
Point Cloud Install dir : C:\DOCUME~1\mxp4758\LOCALS~1\Temp\pft7~tmp\PointCloud\Setup.exe
Point Cloud installer not detected, web install?

=================================================================
C:\Program Files\NaturalPoint\installlog.txt

VC2005 : okay
VS2005 : okay
OptiTrack SDK : version is ok. 101034
5-21-2008
Install Log Entry Begin (Installation):
.Net 3.0 : okay
OS = Win 2K/XP
Component USB from 0 to 0
Component API from 0 to 1
Component DOCS from 0 to 1
Component SAMPLES from 0 to 1
Register files with system : Succeeded
Setting environment variable : NPPOINTCLOUD_INCLUDE = C:\Program Files\NaturalPoint\PointCloud\inc
Setting environment variable : NPPOINTCLOUD_LIB = C:\Program Files\NaturalPoint\PointCloud\lib
Setting environment variable : NPPOINTCLOUD_API = C:\Program Files\NaturalPoint\PointCloud\API
Setting environment variable : NPRIGIDBODY_INCLUDE = C:\Program Files\NaturalPoint\RigidBody\inc
Setting environment variable : NPRIGIDBODY_LIB = C:\Program Files\NaturalPoint\RigidBody\lib
Setting environment variable : NPRIGIDBODY_API = C:\Program Files\NaturalPoint\RigidBody\API
Registering file extension rdef with action open to C:\Program Files\NaturalPoint\RigidBody\bin\RigidBodyTool.exe
Registering file extension mrk with action open to C:\Program Files\NaturalPoint\RigidBody\bin\RigidBodyTool.exe
Registering file extension cal with action open to C:\Program Files\NaturalPoint\PointCloud\bin\OptiCalibration.exe
=================================================================
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

Can you send me some screen shots of the task manager - support@naturalpoint.com

Any firewall/antivirus software installed?
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

What type of video card are you using?