Optitrack (Tracking Tools) and BeagleBone(Ubuntu)

NatNet, VRPN, TrackD, and Plugins
Nemesis

Re: Optitrack (Tracking Tools) and BeagleBone(Ubuntu)

Post by Nemesis »

I hope I am not misinterpreting this, but the BeagleBone doesn't have any "app" that will use the tracking information.

I just want to write a program to display the values that I get from the VRPN server.

(I hope I am not getting confused by what you intend to say)
NaturalPoint - Brent

Post by NaturalPoint - Brent »

Sj22,
You can use our NatNetSDK and get individual marker coordinates (X, Y, Z) and translation and rotation of an object that is composed of three or more markers. You can stream this information out using VRPN as well.

There are multiple way to get the data you want out of our software.

As an example, we have customers who write programs to keep UAVs and robots within a certain area of a room based on where the world origin was set. This can be used to help protect the UAVS from flying into walls or out of a trackable space. There are limitless applications really. Can you tell us a bit more about your application?

-Brent Mason
Nemesis

Post by Nemesis »

Dear Brent,

Like I told Jeff earlier -

I just wish to access/display the coordinates and orientation (of a bot) on a Beaglebone. What I am attempting is to clearly understand this "communication" concept, which helps me to build a client on a separate machine (like Beaglebone in my case) to be able to get continuous data from the server (which is on a separate machine, and the server in my case will be the server of the Tracking Tools software)

I understand that I can get the streaming data via NatNet or VRPN... but how do I access/display that data on a separate machine running linux?

My initial query was, "Is there any sample code for a client program based for a Linux (Ubuntu) system that I can refer to, to get this data?"

P.S - I don't think I can manage to be clearer than above about my query :|
Birch

Post by Birch »

Pasting in from this thread :
http://forum.naturalpoint.com/forum/ubb ... mber=34356
We don't have a pre-packaged sample of the VRPN client listener available for Linux. What you might consider doing is going to the VRPN project page and downloading a Linux client. Work on getting that to compile, then use our sample as a reference for modifying the existing Linux client.

VRPN Project Homepage : http://www.cs.unc.edu/Research/vrpn/
Nemesis

Post by Nemesis »

Thanks Birch.

I used the VRPN-Listener.cpp file and tried compiling it on Linux after modifying it just a little bit. Unfortunately that didn't work either. There is the same error over and over again - "Undefined reference to vrpn_get_connection_by_name" and "Undefined reference to vrpn_Tracker_Remote"

I am linking the correct libraries and I am pointing to the folder containing the header files as well.

I seriously don't understand what needs to be done. I was hoping this would be straightforward but I guess I am missing something here.