Local Connection works fine, network not.

NatNet, VRPN, TrackD, and Plugins
circassia

Local Connection works fine, network not.

Post by circassia »

Hi,

i am streaming through motive to my local machine (3D Example) and everything works fine, when i try to stream over network the client cannot connect to the server and my setup is as follows.

Now while i was sketching this example, when opening the 3D example and i click on connect i get two fields, i am filling both with the server's ip, that should be right i think... (correct me if not, but atm i don't have the software infront of me)

The only firewalls we had were those from windows, but they are already deactivated.

if you have any tips or suggestion how to debug it, that would be very helpfull.

by the way, pinging is working without loss.
morgan
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Re: Local Connection works fine, network not.

Post by morgan »

The server IP and the clientIP should not be the same, unless you are on the same machine.

When connecting using the Sample3D test app, the server IP is the address of the server machine (e.g. Motive). The client IP address is the address of the client app machine (e.g. Sample3D).

The reason there is a client IP address is because it's possible for a machine to have multiple network cards. It is necessary to specify which network card you want to connect using.

The same applies to Motive - In the streaming panel it is necessary to select the IP address of the network card you wish to stream from. If you leave the default setting of 'preferred' it will use the IP address the network card MS Windows interprets to be the "preferred" card. If you are having problems, my suggestion here would be to specify the actual network card / IP address specifically using the dropdown.

hope this helps,

Morgan
circassia

Re: Local Connection works fine, network not.

Post by circassia »

Hi Morgan,

is there a way just to use the server ip? Our client application has only the input to connect to servers.

thank you

circassia