Strange angles when streaming global skeleton joints

NatNet, VRPN, TrackD, and Plugins
fhuelsma

Strange angles when streaming global skeleton joints

Post by fhuelsma »

Hi, I'm just experimenting with the Motive skeleton tracking.
I use Motive v. 1.5.0 and created a skeleton using the baseline markerset (37 Markers).

Just for getting an impression of how the skeleton joint rotations are encoded, I used the example SampleClient3D delivered with NatNetSDK2.6. Using this application, I experienced the following strange behavior:

- When moving forward, the blue boxman goes backward, but When leaning forward, the boxman leans forward
- arms and legs seem to be flipped as if looking into a mirror

The following settings are checked for data streaming:
Stream Skeleton true
Local Rigid Bodies false
Skeleton As Rigid Bodies false

I assumed that those settings would mean that all joint rotations and positions of the character would be completely global w.r.t the root coordinate system. Are there any settings I missed?
What exactly changes when I switch to LocalRigidBodies = true? How are the local coordinate systems for each joint are arranged in TPose?

Thank you
Felix
fhuelsma

Re: Strange angles when streaming global skeleton joints

Post by fhuelsma »

When looking closer on the rendered data, it seems not to be aligned with the rendered skeleton inside the optitrack software. Sometimes, the a joint rendered from the data does some leaps, whereas the corresponding joint in the Optitrack visualization does not. Did I select the wrong settings somewhere inside Motive?
NaturalPoint-Dustin

Re: Strange angles when streaming global skeleton joints

Post by NaturalPoint-Dustin »

I would like to review sample data of this issue you are having. It might be easier for me to collect this data if you submit a ticket with us at help.naturalpoint.com.
Dustin
Technical Support Engineer
OptiTrack | TrackIR | SmartNav