NatNetClient::GetDataDescriptions API call access violation

NatNet, VRPN, TrackD, and Plugins
codenotes

Re: NatNetClient::GetDataDescriptions API call access violat

Post by codenotes »

Can can not upload the TAK file as your forum does not allow files of that size. All items located here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oi0a5vazkmzpe ... M.zip?dl=0

Other facts about my configuration:

1) no firewall enabled
2) the provided EXEs (that ship with SDK that you built with 2010) all experience access violations when run. So it is not just my compilations.
3) have tried compiling for MT, MTd, MTDll, etc. Same effect in all cases.
4) exes blow up on windows 8.1, and 7 and on multiple machines.

Strongly suspect something in the project itself is sending data that is getting mishandled/misinterpreted by the SDK and causing access violation.
Attachments
Motive Project 2014-10-01 03.18.43 PM.ttp
(12.12 KiB) Downloaded 201 times
codenotes

Post by codenotes »

I *think* I figured it out. I can now get it to access violate or not depending....on what I name my rigid body that I am tracking. The bug seems to be with naming in Motive.

If you create and track a rigid body, but change its name to a number, ie. "1", then you get an access violation on GetDataDesc. If you begin with an alpha, like "something1", you don't.

Please verify you see this behavior.

I think there is a coded assumption about the size or type of name for objects, such that if they are not named correctly, the exception is not handled.
morgan
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Post by morgan »

We've confirmed unhandled exception occurs during Getdatadescriptions() call to client library is triggered when a RigidBody name on the server side (e.g. Motive) contains only a number (e.g. 1). We've scheduled a fix for this in the next release of the NatNet SDK (2.7).

Thanks for the detailed troubleshooting!

Morgan