NatNet SDK 2.7 and Motive 1.8 beta 1 compatibility

NatNet, VRPN, TrackD, and Plugins
tredude

NatNet SDK 2.7 and Motive 1.8 beta 1 compatibility

Post by tredude »

Hello everyone!

I was hoping that someone could comment on the compatibility between NatNet SDK 2.7 and the new Motive 1.8 beta 1 application?

I am able to successfully obtain the "OtherMarker" data via the NatNetSDK with Motive 1.7.5, but for some reason the same code doesn't work if I use Motive 1.8 beta 1 as the front-end application. Perhaps it is a compatibility issue for now?

Btw - I am accessing the "OtherMarker" data via the NatNetML.dll (not by decoding packets via UDP).

Cheers!
steven.andrews
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Re: NatNet SDK 2.7 and Motive 1.8 beta 1 compatibility

Post by steven.andrews »

Hello tredude,

NatNet 2.7 should be compatible with Motive 1.8

Are you still having problems accessing the marker data when using Motive 1.8?
When streaming out of 1.8, is the Stream Markers option still enabled in the Streaming pane?

Best regards,
Steven
--
Steven Andrews
OptiTrack | Customer Support Engineer
tredude

Post by tredude »

Hi Steven,

Yes I am having problem accessing the unlabeled marker data when streaming using Motive 1.8. - and I have also ensured all the streaming properties are set correctly (streaming markers is set to true, etc).

One other clue may be that I'm streaming from prerecorded data that has been retrajectorized in Motive 1.8 - it is not live streaming data from a real-time acquisition.

It's quite strange actually... I've noticed that when the "broadcast frame data" checkbox is ticked, the "NET" status in the lower right hand corner of the GUI highlights in green (indicating streaming is enabled via NatNet), but the status of the "3D" remains dark gray (suggesting to me that no 3D is being streamed).

However, when I select "2D Camera Data as Active Playback Source" by clicking the "2D" option next to the take in the project window, the streaming of the 3D positions of unlabeled markers works fine - excepting that the data isn't very clean (some marker dropouts). Moreover, the "2D" "3D" and "NAT" statuses light up green in the bottom-right of the GUI window.

If I switch back to "3D Camera Data as Active Playback Source", then the unlabeled marker positions are no longer streamed, and the "3D" status goes back to being gray.

I didn't observe this issue in Motive 1.7.5...

Thanks for your help!
steven.andrews
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Post by steven.andrews »

Hi tredude,

The 3D indicator in the bottom right corner is an indication as to whether or not realtime processing is taking place. When playing 2D data, it makes sense that the markers you see are due to the realtime processing of the camera data. When playing back 3D, the marker information already exists so the realtime processing does not need to take place. This would explain why the 3D icon is not green.

If you are seeing a difference in the streaming behavior between Motive 1.7.5 and Motive 1.8 when running the same settings, I would like to investigate.

Could you please open a support ticket with us at help.naturalpoint.com so that we can gather the details?

Thanks,
Steven
--
Steven Andrews
OptiTrack | Customer Support Engineer