NatNetML 64bit with SimpleServer 32bit?

NatNet, VRPN, TrackD, and Plugins
zeno06

NatNetML 64bit with SimpleServer 32bit?

Post by zeno06 »

Hi,

I managed to get Matlab program communicate with a modified version of the SimpleServer program, both in a 32bit environment.

Now the question looks stupid but it is really like this: I need to run the same on a system with 64bits. For the SimpleServer, I took a compiled (i.e. and .exe) version of the program. However, this was compiled for 32bit since I only have 32 bit MS visual Studio. On the 64 bit machine, it still seems to work.

For the matlab side, on the 64bit machine I have 64bit matlab, so I loaded the x64 dll. The communication does not seem to work.

Is there kind of conflicht between 64bit matlab NatNet dlls and 32bit C/C++ libraries??

Much thanks,
Zein
steven.andrews
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Re: NatNetML 64bit with SimpleServer 32bit?

Post by steven.andrews »

Hello Zein,

Thanks for reaching out to us. I hope your projects have been going well.

Our engineers just tested streaming between 32 and 64 bit and did not have any problems. The versions of the server and client would need to be the same, though, so you may want to insure both of the applications were using the same version of NatNet.

The SimpleServer is not the best application for testing the streaming portion. If you have access to Motive, we recommend using this as the server so you can truly test whether or not your application is working properly.

If you need any additional help, please feel free to open a Support ticket with us at help.naturalpoint.com

Best,
Steven
--
Steven Andrews
OptiTrack | Customer Support Engineer
zeno06

Post by zeno06 »

Hi Steven,

thanks for the reply!

Regarding versions, do you mean that the client and server should both be either 32 or 64 bits?

I am interested if the behavior of the 32bit and 64bit versions of NatNetML is exactly the same, e.g., what does such a call do:

data = theClient.GetLastFrameOfData();

all the best,
Zein
steven.andrews
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Post by steven.andrews »

Hi Zein,

My pleasure; we are always happy to help :-)
I am sorry if my last reply was a little confusing regarding versions.

Our engineers tested streaming from a 32 bit version of Motive into a 64 bit version of NatNet, or visa versa. So I was trying to say that this should not be an issue as far as I know.

Regarding versions, the version of NatNet, meaning the version number, should be the same between your simple server and the client application. For example, Nat Net 2.9.0
That being said, if you have a copy of Motive, this is the better data server and should be used in place of the simple server. It would be a better test of your application to stream out of Motive into your NatNet application, as this would remove the often troublesome simple server from the mix.

I hope this was clearer. If you need any more help, please feel free to open a support ticket with us so we can troubleshoot together.

Cheers,
Steven
--
Steven Andrews
zeno06

Post by zeno06 »

Hi Steven,

as a matter of fact, I am trying to use NatNet to stream tracking data, but not from a natural point tracker. Interestingly, this is working fine when I use modified versions of the server and client samples. Only the connection to a matlab client is not working and I trying to figure out the reason.

Best,
Zein
steven.andrews
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Post by steven.andrews »

Hi Zein,

Alright, thanks. I understand now.

So, if you are running on a 64 bit system now, as this is what necessitated your switch, this means you are running Matlab and NatNet on a different computer than the one you successfully connected to using 32 bit. Correct?

Are the network settings all the same on this 64 bit machine? Having any firewalls or antivirus software can interfere with the stream. It may look like you connect initially, but data will not come through and will appear to be empty. You might want to look into these settings.

How did you verify the SimpleServer was streaming on the 64 bit machine? Have other NatNet samples been able to connect while running on the 64 bit machine although Matlab has not?

Thanks,
Steven
--
Steven Andrews