Behavior of Matlab client + SimpleServer

NatNet, VRPN, TrackD, and Plugins
zeno06

Behavior of Matlab client + SimpleServer

Post by zeno06 »

Hi,

I am still stuck with streaming data from a tracking system to MatLab using a Matlab NatNet client and the simpleserver application. Since the statement
data = theClient.GetLastFrameOfData();
would only get the last frame from server, I used a call like this theClient.SendMessage('FrameRequest');
to trigger the server to build and send a frame of data. This seems to work principally, but the server hangs in some situations. To troubleshoot this, I have actually two questions:

1. What is the difference between methods "SendMessageAndWait" and "SendMessage"? Is it only as the name says: the later just sends the message and continues without doing anything regarding it?

2. On the server side if the server builds and sends a frames, does it overwrite the last frame? or are the frames buffered somewehrer?

Much thanks,
Zeno
steven.andrews
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Re: Behavior of Matlab client + SimpleServer

Post by steven.andrews »

Hello zeno06,

Thank you for reaching out to the community.

It sounds like your understanding of the two functions is correct.
SendMessageAndWait will wait for a response and will return it.
SendMessage will not return a response.

The data sent by the server does not buffer, so only the last sent frame can be retrieved.

If you are experiencing some issues when testing with the SimpleServer, you may want to try testing with Motive as the server. The SimpleServer may be depreciated, as Motive is an ideal server for streaming our data to other applications.

I hope you find this information to be useful. If you require any further assistance, please feel free to open a Support ticket with us at help.naturalpoint.com

Best,
Steven
--
Steven Andrews
OptiTrack | Customer Support Engineer