Steps involved to stream data using Motive VRPN server

NatNet, VRPN, TrackD, and Plugins
pratik_chatrath

Steps involved to stream data using Motive VRPN server

Post by pratik_chatrath »

Hello,

I wish to stream data to a linux pc connected via lan/wifi using vrpn.

Optitrack wiki redirects to vrpn github which has explanation about compiling vrpn server, client and using it. I believe, according to the motive software and github wiki that motive already has a vrpn server built into it. So please explain the steps to configure the vrpn server.

This is what I have gathered till now:
1. I need to check Broadcast Frame Data under Optitrack Streaming Engine (But when does motive start streaming data? As soon as I check that box?)

2. Need to change Local Interface (But what does it mean?)

3. Select all the markers options as required under Streaming Settings

4. Under advanced settings what should be the settings for Type, Multicast Interface

5. If I check the "Broadcast Frame Data " under VRPN Streaming Engine do I need to do the above 4 steps? If not then how will I specify the client pc ip address?

Is there a method in Motive to check if VRPN server is up and streaming or not?
steven.andrews
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Re: Steps involved to stream data using Motive VRPN server

Post by steven.andrews »

Hello pratik_chatrath,

Thank you for reaching out to the community regarding your questions.

1) You are correct that Motive starts streaming as soon as you enable the Broadcast Frame Data checkbox. If you need VRPN streaming, VRPN will not begin until you also enable the VRPN checkbox.

2) The Local Interface sets the network card that you will be streaming off of. Typically, to stream to a separate machine, your Motive PC needs to have two network cards. One network card is connected to the cameras while the other network card is connected to the client machines via your network.
In Motive, you would want to specify the IP address for the network card that will connect to your client machines. The IP address displayed in the Local Interface would be the IP address that the clients must connect to in order to receive realtime tracking data from Motive.

4) It is up to you if you wish to connect using Multicast or Unicast, but your client must be set to connect with the method that matches this setting.
If you change any of the ports or the Multicast Interface, you will need to use matching settings in the client.

5) Yes, you should go through these steps to be sure you are streaming on the correct network interface. Some settings will not affect your results in VRPN, however, since only 6 DOF rigid body data can be streamed over VRPN currently.

Unfortunately, there is no indication, in Motive, as to whether or not a specific protocol, such as VRPN, is active. The checkbox enabling this feature should be the indication, and you can see if Motive is streaming, in general, by hovering over the NET indicator in the bottom-right corner of Motive.

I hope you find this information to be useful. If you continue to struggle with this, please contact us as help.naturalpoint.com so we can work with you.

Best regards,
Steven
--
Steven Andrews
OptiTrack | Senior Customer Support Engineer