Motive Streaming Won't Work for Sampleclient

NatNet, VRPN, TrackD, and Plugins
jguc

Motive Streaming Won't Work for Sampleclient

Post by jguc »

I recently got into Optitrack Data Streaming, but I could not get the SampleClient to work. After running a take in Motive, here is the output I get when I run the .exe file:

C:\Users\Lab\Documents\NatNetSDK\Samples\bin>SampleClient.exe 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.
1 test.txt
Connecting to server at 127.0.0.1...
Connecting from 127.0.0.1...
NatNet Sample Client (NatNet ver. 2.8.0.0)

[Client] Initializing using my address: 127.0.0.1

[Client] Initializing command listener.

Socket error 10054: WSAECONNRESET
Unable to connect to server. Host not present. Exiting.Error initializing client
. See log for details. Exiting

See attached image for a snapshot of my Data Streaming settings.
My Optitrack software version is 1.6.0, but would that affect this?
Attachments
data streaming settings.PNG
data streaming settings.PNG (11.2 KiB) Viewed 4278 times
steven.andrews
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Re: Motive Streaming Won't Work for Sampleclient

Post by steven.andrews »

Hello jguc,

Thank you for reaching out to us regarding the NatNet streaming.

First, I need to note that Motive 1.6 is quite outdated and is no longer supported. Since Motive 1.6, there have been changes to some of the default settings that are used. Some of the NatNet samples are coded with these specific settings, so if the settings have been changed in Motive the sample will need to be recompiled.

The SampleClient is compiled to run using Multicast and using the default ports. If you change these in Motive, you will need to change this in the SampleClient as well. I know the default Multicast Interface has changed since Motive 1.6, so this will need to be set to match.

Ultimately, I would suggest you update your Motive license so you are able to use Motive 1.10.1 with NatNet 2.10. Using these versions, I would suggest that you reset Motive to use all default settings, then test the NatNet streaming.
Updating to Motive 1.10.1 will also bring you current with Support so that we can help you when you run into any problems.

Until you update, you might try downloading an older version of NatNet from around the time of Motive 1.6. I believe this would be NatNet 2.6. If you reset Motive's settings to default, I would think they should match the NatNet 2.6 defaults and should allow you to stream.

Please feel free to reach out to us at help.naturalpoint.com if you would like more information on updating your license.

Best regards,
Steven
--
Steven Andrews
OptiTrack | Senior Customer Support Engineer
jguc

Post by jguc »

Hi Steven,

Thanks for the reply! I will look into updating my version of Motive, though I will use an earlier SDK version in the meantime.

I double checked the ports and connection type in SampleClient, and I managed to get it to connect. However, as you can see in the attached image, the client simply hangs there after receiving the marker data and does not receive/process any frames. The output file it supposedly writes to is blank.

I made sure to check 'Broadcast Frame Data' in the Data Streaming pane, so I do not know why the frames aren't being streamed. I also tried resetting the Application Defaults, but this did not change anything.

Are you aware of any other steps I must take to enable the Optitrack Streaming Engine?

Thanks,
jguc
Attachments
not streaming.PNG
not streaming.PNG (30.3 KiB) Viewed 4273 times
steven.andrews
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Post by steven.andrews »

Hi jguc,

Thanks for the update. I am glad to hear you made some progress.

If the client is able to connect to Motive but does not seem to receive the frame data, this is often due to a mismatch in the Multicast Interface setting. In old versions of Motive, the default was 224.0.0.1 but in new versions this was changed to 239.255.42.99

If you are using the recent versions of NatNet, you will need to set Motive's Multicast interface to 239.255.42.99, or recompile the sample while uncommenting the bit of code that changes the Multicast Interface to the old default.

Code: Select all

//theClient->SetMulticastAddress("224.0.0.1");
This is the only possibility I can think of at the moment.

Cheers,
Steven
--
Steven Andrews
OptiTrack | Senior Customer Support Engineer