Skeleton data slows down Unity tremendously

NatNet, VRPN, TrackD, and Plugins
Fuby1000

Skeleton data slows down Unity tremendously

Post by Fuby1000 »

I'm using a setup with 8 Flex 13 cams and I'm streaming the data from one pc that runs motive to another pc that runs Unity with a Oculus CV1 connected.

Since Motive has no markerset to track hands/arms only, I've tried the "baseline + hinged toe + finger" set. It works fine in Motive, but not in Unity. I can easily track 5 rigid bodys with 10 markers each, but as soon as I try to animate "Ethan(Unity sample character), using this marker set, I get latencys of like 5 - 10s. Sometimes it even mistakes my rigid bodys for sekeleton parts and whirls them around (which never happens with rbs only, no matter how many rbs I use). Even if I don't stream anything but this 49 marker sekeleton, Unity slow down and crashes eventually.

I've been following the OptiTrack Unity Plugin Manual (http://wiki.optitrack.com/index.php?tit ... ity_Plugin) strickly. Also note that I have 4 cams looking in a 45° angle to the center (like it's supposed to be), while 4 look in a 90° angle so I can throw my objects like 2 meters in the air. Since my body blocks vision too, I only have about 3 cams seeing a marker constantly (but still, it works fine in motive so it must be a streaming issue).
  • Is this a known issue?
  • Could connecting both pc via LAN solve this issue?
  • Is there any other/better way to do this if I only need my hands tracked and animated?
  • Are 8 cameras even enough to track a persons skeleton with several objects in a 6m³ room?
Shagan.Overman

Re: Skeleton data slows down Unity tremendously

Post by Shagan.Overman »

Hi,

There could be a few reasons this is occurring.
Your network is wireless? If so you'll want to stream in Unicast instead of Multicast.
Is this your buildings network or isolated? Try running on an isolated wired network.
Also you'll want to turn off any streaming markers options.
Image attached.

At tradeshows we often just have people wear gloves with a hand rigid body kit on them. We then stream that in as a rigid body and constrain a hand icon. We aren't tracking the fingers so I suggest displaying an abstract hand icon rather than a realistic 3d model.
https://www.optitrack.com/products/moti ... e-markers/ - Hand rigid bodies 29$
https://www.optitrack.com/products/moti ... ure-suits/ - Gloves 25$

8 cameras are suitable for a room that size but as occlusion increases from additional objects or people in the space you may want more to reduce tracking errors.

Feel free to send some recorded data for review. We can make suggestions for improvements from there. Different settings may be all that's required.
Attachments
streaming settings.jpg
streaming settings.jpg (61.85 KiB) Viewed 15738 times
-------
James Shagan Overman
Customer Experience Manager
shagan.overman@optitrack.com
Fuby1000

Re: Skeleton data slows down Unity tremendously

Post by Fuby1000 »

It's my universitys network, I'm a student. Turning off streaming markers helped a lot, but motive freezes after like 1-2 minutes streaming. Also the tracking is far from accurate.

I'm currently testing if it is possible to juggle a couple of real objects, between a couple of people in a room. For that to work I need highly accurate finger tracking in real time. Guess motive just isn't meant for that. I don't think an icon will be enough, thanks anyways.