Data Streaming Interface vs IP and local vs server IP

NatNet, VRPN, TrackD, and Plugins
optimalT

Data Streaming Interface vs IP and local vs server IP

Post by optimalT »

Hi, I am new to data streaming. So I hope that you would bear with me.
I am planning to stream data from a computer with local IP: 192.168.X.Y to another computer with local IP: 192.168.X.Z.

In Motive streaming panel, I set the local interface to be 192.168.X.Y and the multicast interface is by default 239.255.42.99.

When I open the sample Natnet "WinForm Test" App on the receiver computer, what should the local and server IP be?
I tried local: 192.168.X.Z
and server: 192.168.X.Y

but it throws an exception.

What am I doing wrong?

btw, I tried to use
I tried local: 192.168.X.Y
and server: 192.168.X.Y
on the sender computer and it works very well.
steven.andrews
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Re: Data Streaming Interface vs IP and local vs server IP

Post by steven.andrews »

Hello optimalT,

The setup you described sounds correct. The local IP should be the IP address of the machine running the WinForm Test App, and the Server IP should be the IP address of the machine running Motive.

Can you elaborate on the exception that was given? Was the test app able to connect, but not able to receive and display the data?
If you have any antivirus or firewalls running, you should be sure to disable these. They are known to interfere with data streaming and may prevent the data from being received.

If you would like to troubleshoot with us, I would suggest you open a Support ticket with us at help.naturalpoint.com so we can communicate more directly.

Best regards,
Steven
--
Steven Andrews
OptiTrack | Senior Customer Support Engineer