Does the data streaming rate is configurable ?

NatNet, VRPN, TrackD, and Plugins
JosephMatan

Does the data streaming rate is configurable ?

Post by JosephMatan »

Hi,

I'm using the NatNet SDK to stream data from the Motive OptiTrack to my client application.
I was wondering if the rate of the data streaming is configurable ?
My first guess is that depends on the cameras fps, or perhaps, maybe I can configure it to a slower rate then the cameras fps (yes, it means to skip over packets).

Thanks for the help,
Joseph
steven.andrews
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Re: Does the data streaming rate is configurable ?

Post by steven.andrews »

Hi Joseph,

Thank you for sharing this question with the community.

Motive will stream the data out at the frame rate of the cameras. This cannot be reduced unless you change the frame rate of the cameras.
Instead of this, you may want to access the incoming data at the rate you need.

Best,
Steven
--
Steven Andrews
OptiTrack | Senior Customer Support Engineer
help.naturalpoint.com
support@optitrack.com
JosephMatan

Post by JosephMatan »

Thanks for help!!
jmltorch

Post by jmltorch »

steven.andrews wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:16 pm
Motive will stream the data out at the frame rate of the cameras. This cannot be reduced unless you change the frame rate of the cameras.
Will it actually though? Do packets get sent as soon as available and only one at a time?

I'm working with the NatNetSDK SampleClient for ubuntu and I have to time stamp frame data arrival time in the data handler callback because I can't relate any of the host timestamps to my system. I timestamp when the data handler callback is called and subtract the latency measurements provided by the frame data to get my best guess at an actual timestamp, but I noticed when looking at the dt between these timestamps it oscillates between 10ms (the expected value for 100Hz) and some tiny number that seems to indicate a batch was sent at once.
Thiagoros

Post by Thiagoros »

jmltorch wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:54 am
steven.andrews wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:16 pm
Will it actually though? Do packets get sent as soon as available and only one at a time?

I'm working with the NatNetSDK SampleClient for ubuntu and I have to time stamp frame data arrival time in the data handler callback because I can't relate any of the host timestamps to my system. I timestamp when the data handler callback is called and subtract the latency measurements provided by the frame data to get my best guess at an actual timestamp, but I noticed when looking at the dt between these timestamps it oscillates between 10ms (the expected value for 100Hz) and some tiny number that seems to indicate a batch was sent at once.
It indicates that you are experiencing timestamp variations in the NatNetSDK SampleClient for Ubuntu, potentially due to batching during data transmission. Your method to timestamping in the data handler callback and correcting for lag is interesting. Consider looking into batch processing dynamics and communication patterns to get a more precise timestamp estimate.