using vrpn_client_ros in ros-noetic to receive streaming data

NatNet, VRPN, TrackD, and Plugins
DarkKnight

using vrpn_client_ros in ros-noetic to receive streaming data

Post by DarkKnight »

Hello, everyone,

I am trying to use vrpn_client_ros package(noetic-devel) to receive the streaming data from the OptiTrack. I have two computers, the computer1 has installed the Motive V1.7.0 which will stream the data. The computer2 runs a Virtual Machine, which contains a X-Ubuntu V.20.04 + ROS-noetic. I tried to run the vrpn_client_ros package(noetic-devel) [here is the link for this package: https://github.com/usrl-uofsc/vrpn_client_ros] in my virtual machine ubuntu+ros. However, I cannot receive any data about the rigid body. I am sure the setting in the Motive side is correct, because I used the computer3 which contains the Ubuntu v.16.04+ ROS-kinetic to run the vrpn_client_ros package(kinetic-devel), and under this case, I can read the data about the rigid body.

I am not sure why I cannot receive the data when I use my computer2? I guess the possible reasons are:
  • the Motive V1.7.0 is pretty old, but the vrpn_client_ros package(noetic-devel) is a newly developed package and it is not compatible with the old version of Motive? Right now I cannot update my Motive to the newest version since I don't have enough funding. Another question is: Does the vrpn_client_ros use the direct depacketization instead of using NatNet library to decode the data?
  • Another guessing is about the virtual machine. Is it possible that the vrpn_client_ros package(noetic-devel) and Motive v1.7.0 actually are fine? the virtual machine setting issue could cause this problem?
Any suggestion and comments is helpful!
ajfb502

Re: using vrpn_client_ros in ros-noetic to receive streaming data

Post by ajfb502 »

Hey, I'm having a very similar issue, did you manage to resolve it?
mdavid

Post by mdavid »

Hi @ajfb502 @DarkKnight,

Did you manage to solve the issue? Could it be Natnet sdk compatibility issue?
aaaaa

Post by aaaaa »

DarkKnight wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 6:25 pm
  • Another guessing is about the virtual machine. Is it possible that the vrpn_client_ros package(noetic-devel) and Motive v1.7.0 actually are fine? the virtual machine setting issue could cause this problem?
Any suggestion and comments is helpful!
It is highly possible that you are not bridging the host to VM properly hence the network adapter is not connected to the VM. You can check it using `ifconfig` on terminal and verify that you are getting same adapters as in your host (on host you can use `ipconfig` for windows host)