VRPN Sample Code cannot connect....

NatNet, VRPN, TrackD, and Plugins
zezzell

VRPN Sample Code cannot connect....

Post by zezzell »

I am new to OptiTrack and VRPN. The video tutorial on this site regarding streaming data over VRPN is very helpful and the process seems straightforward. However, I downloaded and compiled the VRPN-Listener sample and cannot connect to my Rigid Body in OptiTrack. The names of the objects are the same, I double checked this. I am running the VRPN-Listener and OptiTrack on the same machine and connecting using "localhost:....". Does the VRPN-Listener exe need to reside somewhere specific? Is there a classpath or cfg file I need to modify...? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

I keep getting VRPN Error ... No response from server....

-zach
beckdo

Re: VRPN Sample Code cannot connect....

Post by beckdo »

Hi Zach. You don't need to put the EXE in a specific directory. Send your EXE to support and I'll give it a try. Typically the VRPN stuff 'just works', so this does seem a little unusual.

I went ahead and just tested the sample application with success. But would like to help you debug why it's not working in your case.

Please email support and we'll track down what is wrong with your setup.

Thanks.
opmeyer

Post by opmeyer »

How did you compile the VRPN LISTENER.EXE it is missing the vrpn_connection.h
philipw

Post by philipw »

I can't get the VRPN program to compile at all. It seems like I'm not linking some library that it needs. Any advice? Also, where is this VRPN video?
beckdo

Post by beckdo »

You'll notice the following comments intentionally placed in the code where the compilation fails:

//== You'll also need to download the VRPN distribution files.
//== Missing this file? Get the latest VRPN distro at
//== ftp://ftp.cs.unc.edu/pub/packages/GRIP/vrpn

Video, which demonstrates the sample is located within the Tracking Tools. Click Community->Training & Tutorial Videos, then select VRPN Streaming.
beckdo

Post by beckdo »

Just to be clear, you'll need to download & compile VRPN. You'll notice in the video, I just point the project to the headers & the VRPN compiled binary.

I've found the VRPN distribution compiles reliably without issue out of the box. If you run into any issues compiling VRPN or the sample, feel free to ask questions.