Change multicast address and port

NatNet, VRPN, TrackD, and Plugins
aluaces

Change multicast address and port

Post by aluaces »

Hello,

could it be possible that Tracking Tools or Arena could have an additional option to set the multicast address and port for streaming?

I have made a few changes to the PacketClient example in NatNet 2.1 SDK to having it work under Linux. The command part works fine, but the data streaming gets nothing. I did some research and found that the default address that TT or Arena are using, 224.0.0.1 has a special meaning among the multicast address space. In fact, it seems that belongs to a reserved range: http://www.tcpipguide.com/free/t_IPMult ... m#Table_48 , so maybe this is the reason why the packets aren't received.

It would also be very helpful to being able to change the port because ports under 1024 are usually system reserved, so a program listening to port 1001 must have administrative privileges in order to be allowed to bind that port.

Thank you,
VincentG

Re: Change multicast address and port

Post by VincentG »

We are currently in the process of updating the NatNet interface, and will be adding the ability to unicast,and hope to add the ability to change the port assignments as well.
aluaces

Post by aluaces »

Thank you Vincent. Being able to change address and port in unicast/multicast would be great!
okreylos

Post by okreylos »

Yes please!

I'm running into the same issue connecting to the Rigid Body Toolkit (NAT protocol version 1.4.0.0) and the Tracking Tools (NAT protocol version 2.1.0.0) from a Linux box. Since my client driver on the Linux side needs some user interaction to connect to a Wiimote on startup, I can't just run it as a daemon process, and having users to sudo the driver is just ugly.

Otherwise streaming is working on both software versions.

Unicast would also be nice, especially if you implemented a proper client/server protocol where a tracking client can connect to a well-known port on the OptiTrack side, and then pipe all data through that socket -- so user's don't have to punch holes into any firewalls they might run on the client side (especially not for privileged ports). This would be a big improvement.
morgan
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Post by morgan »

Hey guys,

Just following up on this thread.

The new NatNet 2.2 / TrackingTools 2.2 / Arena 1.6 releases now support both multicast and connection-oriented unicast, as well as user definable port assignments.

Morgan