Help! USB drivers not installing

JG7_X-Man

Help! USB drivers not installing

Post by JG7_X-Man »

NaturalPoint USB Drivers x64 "USB Drivers x64"are not installing. Only the TrackIR folder and its contents install.

Help anyone? :)
jon.campbell

Re: Help! USB drivers not installing

Post by jon.campbell »

Hi JG7_X-man,

I will be happy to assist you. Can you provide me with a little more information? Was this a first time install of TrackIR? What operating system are you using? Did you recently update your operating system?
Jon Campbell
Customer Support Engineer
TrackIR
NaturalPoint
JG7_X-Man

Post by JG7_X-Man »

Hi Jon!

I have had TrackIR for years (v3 - v5). A few weeks ago I updated windows and TrackIR stopped working in P3D, but it's fine in IL-2 Great Battles

I have followed the instructions posted here on how to troubleshoot and for some reason after 50 installs, I can't get the USB drivers to install in the NaturalPoint folder here C:\Program Files (x86).

I have validated that Simconnect works

Obviously unknow device is showing my device manager and it says the correct drivers are loaded but I can update the drives as the USB folder isn't installing
jon.campbell

Post by jon.campbell »

Hi JG7_X-man,

We have seen a few cases similar to yours in the past two weeks. The workaround has been to completely uninstall TrackIR again, do a complete Windows reinstall, then reinstall TrackIR. It is excessive, but it works. The update from around March 10/11 has been very destructive to TrackIR.

Let me know how it goes.
Jon Campbell
TrackIR
NaturalPoint
JG7_X-Man

Post by JG7_X-Man »

Copy that! Thanks
JG7_X-Man

Post by JG7_X-Man »

It seems a new security protocol in Win 10 must be doing something.
What's also strange that when I check TrackIR to "Run as Admin" it does not run on startup. However, when I uncheck the box, it does.

I wonder if this is affecting how TrackIR and P3Dv4.5 communicates via Simconnect. TrackIR runs perfect with IL-2 Great Battles so it's not an universal issue.

Just spitballing as I am just an analyst by trade :)

OK here is what I did - I installed TrackIR on old laptop and transferred the "USB Drivers x64" folder into my C:\Program Files (x86)\NaturalPoint folder. I ran a driver update and I think we are good.

Question: The TrackIR drivers installed read 2012 v2.70.0.0. The drivers in .sys file in C:\Program Files (x86)\NaturalPoint\USB Drivers x64\npusbio_x64 reads v2.27.0.0 1998-2012, date modified 12/11/2015. Jon please confirm I have the same/correct drivers installed.
JG7_X-Man

Post by JG7_X-Man »

On checking my apps, shortcuts owned by the SYSTEM can not be run as admin and start on win startup. This maybe new but I just noticed it now.

Is anyone here running TrackIR on a powered USB having issues with P3Dv4.5?
jon.campbell

Post by jon.campbell »

Hi JG7_X-man,

This might be worth looking at. Others who have had issues with TrackIR and Prepared3D have had success following these steps:

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic ... 15#p125445
Jon Campbell
TrackIR
NaturalPoint
JG7_X-Man

Post by JG7_X-Man »

Well we can mark this as closed.

First Issue:

To solve the inability to install the USB drivers, use a device that has not been connect to TrackIR - install then copy paste.
Maybe NaturalPoint can provide a link to the drivers for next time?

Second issue:

After making sure the simconnect executables were installed, TrackIR had to be set to "Run as Admin"
I got my two green lights on P3Dv4.5 startup and I could use TrackIR to pan in game.

Here is exactly what I did in order:
  • Deleted all TrackIR or NaturalPoint folders and contents
    Unplug all my USB devices and uninstalled the drivers individually via Device Manager (Rebooting re-installs them automatically)
    Ran through Regedit and deleted everything related to TrackIR or NaturalPoint (via names only)
    Opened CMD (admin) and ran sfc /scannow to fix any windows issues
    Re-installed TrackIR (two separate PCs in my case, has I was having the aforementioned issues)
    Manually updated TrackIR drivers via Device Manager (please see my solution above if you are having issues installing the x64 USB drivers)
    Re-installed all Simconnect drivers and validated SimConnect.xml was edited correctly
    Set TrackIR shortcut icon to "Run as Admin"
    Ran P3D
    Successfully connected P3Dv4.5 to TrackIR
Last edited by JG7_X-Man on Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
jon.campbell

Post by jon.campbell »

Hi JG7_X-man,

Thank you for providing your solution! This will be a great help for future reference.
Jon Campbell
TrackIR
NaturalPoint