Widows 8 Drivers

NaturalPoint - Mike

Re: Widows 8 Drivers

Post by NaturalPoint - Mike »

[quote=Mykodacon]Unfortunately I am unable to revert back to Windows 7. Is this something the company is putting a high priority on, or would it be better for me to return the Trackir 5 at this time? [/quote]

Our expected release date has not changed, it is still expected for sometime in April.
ThomasAnderson

Post by ThomasAnderson »

You may run the software in compatible mode, just as follows:
right click on the Trackir 5 go to properties,
select the compatibility tab, In compatibility mode
check the box and select the lower version of windows.

I hope it helps..
NaturalPoint - Mike

Unfortunately, the issue is more of an installation related one that can cause issue with TrackIR drivers being recognized by Windows 8. Compatibility mode is not really an appropriate fix for this.

Our release of an updated Windows 8 consumer preview friendly TrackIR installer is, fortunately, still on target for April.
bubbdamadaussie

Post by bubbdamadaussie »

Solution found.

This is a link to a question I asked on the windows 8 forum and a workaround has been found to install the windows 7 driver. I have tested the solution and can confirm that TrackIR 5 is working in windows 8.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... ab8b31c0b8

Hope this helps until we get an official working windows 8 driver
gonk

Post by gonk »

Thx mate that works.... I am on Windows 8 64-bit Build 8250, TrackIR driver 5.1.3 final....see below for a copy from the above mentioned site...
TonyW8:- Win8 enforces driver signatures by default. If you have a Win7 driver that worked OK, I suggest the following to disable driver signature enforcement:
From the Metro or Desktop
Bring up Charms by mouseing over to the right of the screen
Go to Settings
More PC Settings
General
Advanced Startup > Restart Now
Trouble shoot
Advanced options
Windows startup options
Restart
Click on 'Disable driver signature enforcement
Reboot
Install the relevant driver, allowing the non signed driver to install.
Click 'Install anyway'
This has worked OK for me installing various old printer drivers. Just make sure you know the provenance of the driver being installed, as always.
Regards
NaturalPoint - Mike

This does work, however the new release of TrackIR should work without having to disable native OS security features.
Mykodacon

Post by Mykodacon »

gonk wrote:Thx mate that works.... I am on Windows 8 64-bit Build 8250, TrackIR driver 5.1.3 final....see below for a copy from the above mentioned site...
TonyW8:- Win8 enforces driver signatures by default. If you have a Win7 driver that worked OK, I suggest the following to disable driver signature enforcement:
From the Metro or Desktop
Bring up Charms by mouseing over to the right of the screen
Go to Settings
More PC Settings
General
Advanced Startup > Restart Now
Trouble shoot
Advanced options
Windows startup options
Restart
Click on 'Disable driver signature enforcement
Reboot
Install the relevant driver, allowing the non signed driver to install.
Click 'Install anyway'
This has worked OK for me installing various old printer drivers. Just make sure you know the provenance of the driver being installed, as always.
Regards
Yup, worked great for me also.

I always install drivers that have not passed Windows Certification and I only install trusted drivers so all is good.

Quick question although it is not very important to me if I don't turn it back on but - if I turn the security feature back on now that the driver is installed, will trackir 5 still work for me?
NaturalPoint - Mike

I would think it wouldn't, but I'm not entirely sure. One way to find out for sure though.

I would advise anyone who does this to remove the previous version, re-enable signature enforcement, then install the new version of TrackIR once it's released, for security purposes.
Mykodacon

Post by Mykodacon »

[quote=NaturalPoint - Mike]I would think it wouldn't, but I'm not entirely sure. One way to find out for sure though.

I would advise anyone who does this to remove the previous version, re-enable signature enforcement, then install the new version of TrackIR once it's released, for security purposes.
[/quote]

OK I found out the answer and I have a feeling that the guys who are working on your drivers are not going to like it :)

It turns out that you are only disabling the driver security for that session. When you restart the computer, it re-enables them. Trackir 5 works fine afterwards. So basically you have to disable the driver security so that your current drivers you have available on this site will work. Once installed, just restart your computer and everything is back to normal except Trackir 5 now works with Windows 8. yee ha!

BTW, I wrote before that my camera is 3 feet above my head. I am wrong. It is 55 inches away from me horizontally, then up 2 feet. It works PERFECT. Thanks for making a fantastic product. IT EVEN WORKS IN THE DARK with all the lights out. Probably because the TV is reflecting off it though, as the tv is large and creates a lot of light.
NaturalPoint - Mike

The TrackIR, like its name implies, uses infrared light to track you. With a TrackClip, the 4 red dots inside the camera emit IR light that bounces off of the three spots on your clip and back to the camera. The TrackClip Pro has its own IR emitters onboard. Either way, its not working in the dark per se, it's just working with a light you can't see.