Command Line Profile Selection

ghost101

Command Line Profile Selection

Post by ghost101 »

Ok, I use TrackIR for multiple games (ArmA 2, Falcon 4, Dirt), which means I need to manually switch between profiles.

In addition to using TIR with these games, I also run multiple related apps, Including Voice Activated Commds, ArmA update, etc. Manually loading 3-4 apps, in order to play a single game is a pain and unnecessary. So the common solution is to automatically load all related apps using a command line batch-file.

Programs like VAC, ArmA Update, etc, offer commandline profile selection as a commandline option. In fact most developers of input device software, which offers multi-profiling (as TrackIR does), have the sense to enable their users to select which profile to load via a cammond-line switch.

example, it should be possible to load TrackIR from a batchfile like so:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\NaturalPoint\TrackIR5\TrackIR5.exe /profile: ArmA2"

...or similar.

I've done a search on this forum and I've noticed _multiple_ requests for this feature from other users over the years. And NaturalPoint just ignore.

Common NaturalPoint, this is a basic feature, expected in any decent multiprofile device program. The TrackIR software is literally the _only_ profile-based app in my batch files which is forcing me to manually go into its profiling software to select the profile I need.

Please add this feature.
Seth Steiling

Re: Command Line Profile Selection

Post by Seth Steiling »

Hi ghost101.

You can already map specific profiles to specific titles within the TrackIR software. Simply locate the game in the "Titles" tab under "Advanced Settings," click on the drop-down list to the right of that game's listing, and select the profile you wish to map to that game. It will be automatically loaded when the associated game is launched and detected by the TrackIR software.

For more information, you can refer to "Title Management" in the TrackIR manual:

http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/sup ... ml#h-5.8.2

Regarding creating a batch-file to start TrackIR + other programs--keep in mind that TrackIR must be started before your game, in order for the TIR software to detect it and sync up for data streaming.
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
Fish

Post by Fish »

I too would like to see this feature within the software. There are several reasons why being able to launch specific profiles would benefit users. Here are some.

1. different screen formats, normal wide, surround, eyefinity. Same game, needs different profiles.
2. different game builds, exes', stable, alpha, beta, development builds, with sli, without etc.,
3. Different modules/aircraft/machines within a single game, needing different profiles.
4. The profile launcher does not always work correctly.
5. Automation of all peripherals with the specific game title/module.
Regarding creating a batch-file to start TrackIR + other programs--keep in mind that TrackIR must be started before your game, in order for the TIR software to detect it and sync up for data streaming.
Thats not a problem as a simple time-out or pause function allows tir to fire up before the game. Here an example......

Code: Select all

start /min "" "C:\Program Files (x86)\NaturalPoint\TrackIR5\TrackIR5.exe"
timeout /T 10 /nobreak
start "" "E:\DCS World OpenAlpha\bin\DCS - Sli.exe"
Because of the limitations and unreliability of the profiling in TIR, for many years i only use the 'exclusive' mode and manually select the profile. I wonder how many other people use it this way also?
MikeWitham

Post by MikeWitham »

Fish,

I've sent this thread over to my dev for review. You can assign a hotkey to switch a profile without leaving a game. For instance in ArmA I use two profiles, one for combat and one for vehicles. You can enable and set one for each profile in the hotkey dropdown menu.

Regards,
Mike Witham
TrackIR Product Manager