Precision Mode Looses Tracking on 1 (or more) lights

Krinje

Precision Mode Looses Tracking on 1 (or more) lights

Post by Krinje »

About 90% of the time it works fine, but here and there the camera will lose tracking on one light of my track clip pro Sending my view askew in some random direction. Shaking my head usually helps it recover, but not until the damage is done.

I have tried every threshold setting, including one only accessible from the .ini and nothing seems to help it.

Except "Standard" mode. It has never, not once, lost tracking with the "standard" mode selected.

I've had this unit for a few years now, and it has always been like this; I've just sucked it up. The only *real* problem I have is that I must change it back to standard every single time I start the TrackIR program.

I don't need precision fixed (though I suppose that would be nice) How can I get TrackIR's software to start in standard tracking mode?
Krinje

Re: Precision Mode Looses Tracking on 1 (or more) lights

Post by Krinje »

Been a while, so I'm just going to BUMP this
jolsonsalem

Post by jolsonsalem »

I've been checking with our developers and it appears that precision/standard mode isn't saved, but it is something we are looking into adding in the future.

When it looses track of one of the markers on your TrackClip is it always the same LED? Also, does the right LED on the TrackIR itself turn off or flicker?
Krinje

Post by Krinje »

As far as i can tell the LEDs are fine, and it isn't limited to one of them.

Usually what happens when I've caught this happening in 'camera view' is that one of the LED nodes flickers from green to red and then they all freak out and then all go red. They stay red until I make some kind of dramatic movement with my head (shaking like a wet dog)

(low jpg quality on purpose)

This is "normal" at my normal gaming distance
http://i.imgur.com/Z6O0SfG.jpg

This is "Up close normal" up close to show the wierd extra objects
http://i.imgur.com/sY0fHdq.jpg

This is "Non-Normal"
http://i.imgur.com/hq077ed.jpg

It dawns on me a little, is this because of those extra objects? (what I presume are lens flares?) In standard they are there as well but much smaller. Being farther away eliminates them. Could moving my camera farther away possibly help, or are they extraneous to the problem?

Edit: Playing with the exposure setting has yielded positive results, setting it to ~70 (as opposed to 150) seems to have fixed my issues so far. I'll be updating this after I test it in-game.

Thanks for your support.
Krinje

Post by Krinje »

After testing reducing the exposure by about 1/2 has eliminated all of my issues.
Seth Steiling

Post by Seth Steiling »

Hi Krinje,

These artifacts generally appear in a certain run of TrackIRs that had some microscopic flaws in the IR lens shield. It typically only pops up when using the TrackClip PRO, because of the settings that were unique to that mode. If lowering the exposure provided a satisfactory fix, that's great news. We're also happy to take a look at repairing or replacing the unit, if you prefer.

- Seth
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
Sagal

Post by Sagal »

Thanks for the information. I was using mostly the standard mode due to that. By lowering the threshold to 70 and using the precision mode, it seems after 1 mission with DCS BS2 (the worst sims with regards to this effect)that it is much better.
Sagal

Post by Sagal »

I have just noticed in a second mission that the problem is not solved. I have to stick to standard mode.
Sagal

Post by Sagal »

I discovered another source of interference (a thin metallic part in the middle of the top of Momo Racing wheel) that I eliminated. I continue therefore my testing with precision mode and lower value for filtering threshold and will report here if it is not working well.
NaturalPoint-Dustin

Post by NaturalPoint-Dustin »

Thanks for the status update! Let us know if you are still having issues.

-Dustin
Dustin
Technical Support Engineer
OptiTrack | TrackIR | SmartNav