TrackIR 5 negative zoom 'bug' in DayZ Arma 2 mod

Guyver1

TrackIR 5 negative zoom 'bug' in DayZ Arma 2 mod

Post by Guyver1 »

Please see my youtube video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7f45BAvE9Ec

If you want to fast forward to the specific bit regarding the negative zoom 'bug' its starts around 8:00 and finishes around 11:00

1. Is this a known issue?
2. Is it a limitation of the Natural Point software or with the Arma Engine?
jolsonsalem

Re: TrackIR 5 negative zoom 'bug' in DayZ Arma 2 mod

Post by jolsonsalem »

In the profile you are using for Arma do you have TrueView checked? It's just above the graph for editing the 6 axis.
Guyver1

Post by Guyver1 »

Jeff,

I shall check that option tonight when i get home after work.

Cheers,

Leon.
Guyver1

Post by Guyver1 »

Jeff,
TrueView is checked.

I made a comparison video between the natural point software and ingame in DayZ:

http://youtu.be/LAMePN_bnJM

As you can see from the video, the negative zoom appears to be a bug in Arma2.

Also heres my profile settings:
https://plus.google.com/photos/10158710 ... 37_Wx8TVAg

Any thoughts??
Guyver1

Post by Guyver1 »

just to add to this.

I tried the same tests in vanilla Arma 2 and Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead and its the same bug.

Also:
OS - Windows 8 Enterprise 64 bit
jolsonsalem

Post by jolsonsalem »

We are looking into a few issues with TrueView, and this may be a part of that. You might try the 4.x version of TrackIR and see if the issue persists.
Guyver1

Post by Guyver1 »

Thanks for the reply Jeff.
I will test out 4.x and see if its the same

cheers.

Leon.
mue

Post by mue »

I think the problem is that the trackir z axis (forward - backward) is bind to zoom in this game. In that case you can not use trueview. Try disabling the trueview option.

Explanation: TrackIR is feeding a virtual head position/attitude (x,y,z,yaw,pitch and roll) to the game.
If you move your real head toward the screen you would expect that trackir translates it into moving the virtual head forward (z axis). But with trueview enabled, your current virtual view direction (yaw,pitch) is taken into account: Moving your real head toward the screen means that your virtual head moves forward along your current virtual view direction. E.g. if you look 90 degree left and you try to zoom in by moving your real head forward you actually move your virtual head left (the head moves along the x axis and not the z axis) -> no zoom. That also explains the negativ zoom: If you look back and try to zoom in, your virtual head is actually moving back -> negativ zoom.

Solution: disable trueview.
Last edited by mue on Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:26 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: Added explanation
Guyver1

Post by Guyver1 »

Sorry but that's false and my video proves it.

Arma should be doing exactly what the TrackIR software is doing (exactly as demonstrated in my video)

Also, In Arma, if you press your look button (left alt) and then use your mouse to perform the same 170 degree head turn to look behind you and then press 'Zoom In' to zoom in, you zoom IN, you do not zoom out.

Your statements are flawed in both respects.

I WANT to zoom in and out with my head so why on earth would i DISABLE Trueview?!?!
mue

Post by mue »

Have you tried it with disabled trueview?

[quote=Guyver1]Sorry but that's false and my video proves it.
[/quote]

I have to contradict. Your video shows exactly the behaviour I tried to describe. Let me try it again:
I assume that the games zoom function is bind to the trackir z axis. In your second video you show the trackir software. In the small window labeled "left" the z axis runs from right to left. That means if the head in this window moves from right to left you zoom in and if the head moves from left to right you zoom out. You turned your virtual head 180 degrees and with moving you real head forward you want to zoom in but your virtual head in the "left" window is moving from left to right -> zoom out instead of zoom in.